Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Caribb-LEM Mark III, March 1st-11th of 2017 (or March 4th-11th if you want 7 days)

Still waiting to get on a Skype call with Rich to work out final plans. He's had a lot on his plate recently!

His new SCUBA shop in California is doing well, so they decided to install an 8 ft deep pool in the back so they could do some basic water skills. The pool was a special design and was all above-ground. Unfortunately, the contractor made a mistake somewhere in the construction. When they were filling the pool, one of the walls collapsed! This flooded the dive shop. So now he's been dealing with insurance companies, lawyers, a broken pool, and a wet dive shop.

Regardless, it won't be too long... Hang in there folks!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Still waiting to get on a Skype call with Rich to work out final plans. He's had a lot on his plate recently!

His new SCUBA shop in California is doing well, so they decided to install an 8 ft deep pool in the back so they could do some basic water skills. The pool was a special design and was all above-ground. Unfortunately, the contractor made a mistake somewhere in the construction. When they were filling the pool, one of the walls collapsed! This flooded the dive shop. So now he's been dealing with insurance companies, lawyers, a broken pool, and a wet dive shop.

Regardless, it won't be too long... Hang in there folks!

Adam
    My post the other day was mainly from the perspective of giving any new people considering the trip time to plan. Not sure if any of the other SELEM'ers or PL'ers are thinking of going. But if they don't have scuba certification some time to at least knock out the online CBT and pool work. Not sure if there are any of those people though.

Bummer about the above ground pool. Years ago I visited ODU in Norfolk and noticed this awesome aquarium they had. It was at least 8 feet deep. The glass gave off the usual optical distortion you see at deep aquariums. That got me randomly googling stuff on the internet trying to find a calculator to figure out how thick the glass or plastic has to be for water that deep. As I recall, anything deeper than 4ft deep then you need realllly thick walls. Full on crazy engineering level. That is why the plastic wall in the aquarium wall at Bass Pro Shops / Cabellas is like 4"+ in thickness. The online calculators for the DIY aquarium people seemed to always stop at 4' deep. I found at least one description of someone who had built a DIY 4' deep one and had some 800+ gallons in it when it gave way in their house though.

Hindsight is 20/20 but shipping container converted might work?

At least it wasn't full of people.

The thing is, this pool didn't need to have a "window" for people to look in. It just needed to hold back the water.

Given that you have above-ground pools made of thin sheet metal that can hold back the pressure from ~ 3 ft of water, it would seem that an 8 ft above-ground pool wouldn't be too difficult. Sure, it would need to be engineered. But I would think there would be an off-the-shelf product (or at least a standard set of plans) for something like this. The fact that it failed when only half full tells me that someone really screwed up...

Adam