Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Caribb-LEM Mark III, March 1st-11th of 2017 (or March 4th-11th if you want 7 days)

Thumbs up More SCUBA video from the last Caribb-LEM!

Here is a video of the Haliburton wreck dive that several of us did back in 2015 during Caribb-LEM # 2. Look closely and you'll see Daniel Briggs and Platinum (Jonathan) swimming by in a few places!

The keel of the ship is just over 100 ft down, so there isn't a lot of color to see down there, but the ship is still fascinating to look at. Visibility is normally a lot better than it was on this day, but you can still see the entire ship, which is pretty good by most standards. It's just that normally Utila is so much clearer.

It was very rough that entire week, which really stirred up the water and contributed to the poorer than normal visibility. But the first time I dove this wreck (back in 2013), you could see the entire ship from the surface while standing on the dive boat! Unfortunately, I didn't have my GoPro back then.

Anyway, here's the video. It's about 17 minutes long. You get a brief look at my dive computer about 30 seconds in. I'm still descending slightly towards the bottom, and it already shows me at 95 ft.

I didn't include footage of the descent or the ascent, since they were mostly boring shots of the sea floor and the bubbles from other divers. (We did 2 safety stops on the way up from this dive, due to the depth.)

Also note that as a rescue diver I am not certified to enter enclosed overhead spaces, so I don't have any shots of the interior of the ship. You *can* do a special "adventure dive" where you are led by an experienced instructor and are thus permitted to briefly enter some of the larger spaces of the ship while under the constant watch of your instructor, but I didn't opt for that on this trip.

Technically even swimming through the wheelhouse (at around the 13 minute mark) is cheating a tiny bit, but given the large number of exits, the open nature of the space, and the two instructors we had with us, it wasn't a big risk. No way I'd ever venture below-decks though!

Adam

PS: The woman with the blue fins who is leading for most of the dive is Faye... She's the Divemaster/Instructor you've heard us all talking about before.

Okay, I got my bank check mailer system to send in the reserve for me for the 7 day Utila ordeal. I need to take a hard look at my time off from work (have a trip in October and December for Family Stuff) to see what kind of time off I'd have to do the 10 day trip. I haven't booked flights yet.

I have about 75-80 dives logged, and have PADI OW/AOW and SSI Nitrox. My next courses that I need to do are Adv Nitrox and probably IANTD or other rec CCR course for AP Inspiration (but my unit has Hammerhead controllers, which complicates things a bit.) Don't think I will worry about that with this trip.

I've been eyeballing computers, my favorite of mine is my Citizen watch but the OSTC3, OSTC4 or Shearwater Petrel 2-EXT would be the ones I go after :-)

Good times ahead!

Here are some pics of all the gear I just bought. Can't believe I have to wait until MARCH for this trip!!

Why you gotta wait? I was supposed to be going tomorrow but person bailed (which isn't bad cause I've been sick as a dog the past few days.)
    Went a few weeks ago. Will hit the local quarries before summer is done that is for sure.

I don't have the time or money to go off on impromtu SCUBA trips, as much as I'd like to. I also only have a 3mil shorti, and quarries don't really interest me that much, and I heard even in the summer they're COOOOLD and you need a 5mil or 7mil full wetsuit or even a drysuit. I'm not that into SCUBA to go that far. I'd rather just wait for a trip to the warm Caribbean like I did this past March.

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    I don't have the time or money to go off on impromtu SCUBA trips, as much as I'd like to. I also only have a 3mil shorti, and quarries don't really interest me that much, and I heard even in the summer they're COOOOLD and you need a 5mil or 7mil full wetsuit or even a drysuit. I'm not that into SCUBA to go that far. I'd rather just wait for a trip to the warm Caribbean like I did this past March.
    Hah! Nothing makes you appreciate the good diving like the bad diving! Visibility of 1', it's 80 degrees and hot at 15' deep, it's 60 degrees and cold at 20' deep!

The closest quarry to me has visibility of maybe 7' or 8' and goes from hot to cold at 15' (Millbrook Quarry.)

Lake Pheonix (it was called Lake Rawlings) is a bit better, clearer water and such but still a tad chilly. This is also in Virginia.

I have a 5 mil henderson wetsuit and hood/gloves. Had drysuit, sold it. Regret selling it maybe? It would be cool to do the thing where you stand upside down on the ice above :-)

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    PS: The woman with the blue fins who is leading for most of the dive is Faye... She's the Divemaster/Instructor you've heard us all talking about before.
    Faye? No, I don't think you've mentioned her ever before.

Maybe if you have some photo mam^H^H^Hmemories of her?

Actually, I think Brad has better photos of her than I do...

Speaking of diving, I got another video uploaded last night. Check it out:

I gotta admit; once you get the color-correction right, the GoPro actually makes for a decent SCUBA camera!

Adam

Nice. I think I'll need to add that to my kit before March.

If you get a GoPro, you'll want to get a pole to mount it on for diving. Something like the Handler should be fine. I use the UK-Pro Pole and it works really well.

Adam