Thread: A proper laser safety goggles test (your help needed)

Default A proper laser safety goggles test (your help needed)

I was ordering some diodes and housings from an eBay seller and noticed he was selling some quite cheap laser safety goggles as well. Since they were very cheap I decided why not get them and test just how usable and safe these cheap safety goggles really are, since I have a LaserBee AXA power meter now.
    I don't want to provide the name of the seller because even if it turns out these goggles are useless he is a decent seller and I'm sure any other chinese seller who sells such goggles is pretty much selling the same thing anyway, so if the results are not positive it would be best to avoid them all.
    But I am going to provide photos of the goggles and my readings.

To start I just want you guys and gals to suggest how to properly set up this experiment.

The power meter has a maximum power reading of 5 Watts for a 4mm beam profile, the reading increment is 1mW and 100% accurate reading takes 40 seconds of exposure.
    There are 4 goggles, 2 $40 OD4 (red, green+blue) and 2 $10 OD5 (red, green+blue). The OD4 ones came in a case with "Eagle Pair" on them, the OD5 ones with "T-Rex" label.
    I have 200mW DPSS 532 green module at my disposal, 300mW DPSS 638 red module, 1W 520nm green diode, 800mW 445nm blue DPSS, 3W 462nm diode and 500mW 638nm diode at my disposal I can use for testing.

Lots of testing has already been done on the so called "Eagle Pair". Lots of folk over on LPF use those and many people have tested them and found the performance to be satisfactory - maybe not up to scratch for some members of the community mind you...

They are not certified (CE certification doesn't really go for anything), but from what everyone's seen so far they work fine for the common wavelengths that we all know and love. Just depends if you'd rather spend the extra $100 and get a certified pair or cheap out and get the "good enough" $40 pair

https://www.google.ca/search?q=eagle...MYKq0AT7uZ-gBQ

It is nice to have some poor quality goggles around...seriously. The super 6-OD goggles are good, but if you are working with the beams and the goggles make the laser completely invisible then you will be continuously lifting them to peak at the laser to see what you are doing and that's OD zero.

I don't think it would hurt to make another test with an LMP with the newer more powerful diodes either way. Plus, the OD5 ones are not "Eagle Pair" anyway.
    If anyone is interested, just let me know how the experiment should be set up and I'll test them.