Thread: APC 40 advice needed

Default APC 40 advice needed

Greetings, all;

I'm getting ready to pop for a used APC 40 to use with Beyond Advanced.
    I understand the first rev of this is the one to get, and have read most of the posts about setting this up.

Any other advice for an Akai noob?

Thanks...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

From what I have seen at demos, Beyond has equal support for both the original APC-40 (mki) and the new APC-40 (mkii). So I don't think you will find a Beyond feature difference (though I don't own Beyond myself and a Beyond owner should chime in on this assertion).

The main difference comes down to personal preference of the layout and design of the two controllers. The mki is larger and thicker and requires a power supply, while the Mkii is thin and powered by USB. The mkii also has full RGB clip-launch buttons, while I believe the mki is limited to orange or green for the buttons. Some people don't like the recessed faders and knob layout of the mkii.

The best suggestion is probably to go to your local Guitar Center or any other music store - they should have both laying around - and get some hands on with both to see which one you like.

I am in the group that places more importance in not having to cary around yet another wall-wart and the RGB clip launch buttons - over the slightly more intuitive layout of the mki.