Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Helios - Open source, low cost DAC

I just realized that this looks exactly like the "Laser Dock" from Wicked Lasers...

Did they license anything from you? Or did they just copy it and not tell you?

Adam

Close, but no cigar as they used to say.

Here are the two side by side:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4499.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	52394 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4500.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	52393

-David

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I just realized that this looks exactly like the "Laser Dock" from Wicked Lasers...

Adam
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post

Adam
    No, there is no engineering overlap between them as far as I know. As dkumpula showed they don't look quite the same. I definitely don't think they copied anything, in fact if I remember correctly they released theirs slightly earlier than me, so if anyone is a copy cat, it would be me . Extruded aluminium cases like that are pretty common nowadays, the one used in the Helios is an off-the-shelf product (except the custom engraving and cutouts of course).

Hey Grix,
    I appreciate I’m a bit late to the party but wanted to say a huge thanks for sharing your work with the community. There seems to be a gap in the market for a cost effective DAC, especially one benefiting from the agility of open source code!

I’m planning to buy one for an ILDA port equipped projector and thinking of using it to create a wirelessly controlled solution:

by plugging the Helios into the USB of a wireless NUC micro-pc like the Gigabyte Brix, running lasershowgen and mounted on the projector, I’m hopeful I should be able to RDP into the Micro-pc wirelessly to control the software

Good news, now the Helios is supported by the popular software HE-Laserscan: https://he-laserscan.de

Shoutout to Tim Redfern (does he have a PL account?) who has made Helios plugins for openFrameworks and Pure Data:

https://github.com/timredfern/pd_helios
    https://github.com/timredfern/ofxHelios

Default Helios - Open source, low cost DAC

Helios is a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that is open source and low cost. A DAC is an electronic device that converts digital signals into analog signals, which can be used to drive speakers or headphones. Open source means that the design and software of Helios are publicly available and can be modified or improved by anyone. Low cost implies that the product is priced lower compared to other DACs on the market, making it more accessible and affordable to a wider range of consumers..