Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12v battery help

Quote Originally Posted by Bbe View Post
    Something like this+this+this+maybe this=12V and AA size
    That DC-DC converter you linked to can only supply 280 milliamps. The E-bay listing for the LEDs Andy was using specified a 400 milliamp current draw.

The other issue is the low capacity. That NL14500A Li-ion is rated at just 650 mAhr. The DC-DC converter will be drawing 1 amp from it. So even if the LED will run on the lower current output from the converter, the battery will only last about 35 minutes before it's dead. Although it would be a very small form factor, I don't think this is enough capacity for what he wants.

Now, three of these 18650 Li-ion batteries wired in series could supply 12 volts at 400 ma for over 7 hours... (Link is for a pack of 2 batteries, but you can search for other deals.) But if you add up the volume of those 3 batteries, it's no smaller than the original 3S LiPo battery I linked to above.

Adam

They are nowhere near as cheap as Li-pos are. But they can be charged very rapidly (Li-pos generally can't), they can be discharged even faster than Li-pos
    It is my understanding that LiPo batteries have one significant advantage over Li ion and that is the maximum discharge rate. This is why, I have read, that the heavier LiPos are used for drones because they can tolerate 40, 50 and even 60 C discharge while 10 C is about the limit for Li ion. The fact that Lipo's are less likely to burst into flame if over charged is another advantage.

However, even if this is true, I think the significant weight advantage of the Li ion trumps all.