Thread: Lightweight DMX Console.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Lightweight DMX Console.

Need a simple DMX console for 6-7 RGB DMX spot and linear fixtures at my church for Christmas service. Elation Stage Setter 24 looks good, as this is "architectural" lighting. I need 10 or so saved scenes, and very simple operation for lay people. All fixtures will be in 3 channel mode and are NOT moving light fixtures. I'm normally doing sound on Sundays, but I like to light the Holidays. Really don't even need chases, although that would be good for our post-game dance parties for teens. Would like fades from .5 sec to 30 sec. (Believe it or not, free Christian Techno/Dance Music with a live band draws a strong crowd every forth Friday, in Snoring/Boring North East Ohio)
    []

Layout, 2 RGB PAR fixtures on channels 1-2-3 for Alter
    1 RGB linear fixture on 4-5-6 for Cross
    2 RGB PAR fixtures on 7-8-9 Ceiling up-lights for trim
    2 RGB linear fixtures on 10-11-12 as houselights over band and alcove so musicians and vocalists can see.
    []
    OpenDMX Dongle need NOT apply. Had one seriously melt. Existing Chavet OBEY 4 was a nice toy for two years, but I need something a bit more capable.
    []
    Suggestions, prefer under 250$. Gets maybe 10-12 uses per year. Non-Techie users are the main issue. My QM2000 is staying at home, so forget Pangolin.
    []

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-03-2016 at 13:32.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Lightbulb

Hey P'fesser -

Can Highly-recommend the 'ETC Smartfade' - here's one at a Really good price (I've paid anywhere from $800. - $1100. Used, so..) http://www.ebay.com/itm/302103249015? ..They are Super rugged / reliable, have a great function set, and are easy to program... Two Thumbs solidly-Up..

..if that's 'still too-much', one of our previous-Laserists had one of these (or, pretty-close to it, IIRC..) http://www.ebay.com/itm/381589306127 ..and he testified that they work pretty-well..

Fwiw..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I use one of those behringers with my mobolazers, they work fine

I've found out the hard way that most low end consoles do not offer a true fade except in chases. Most of them use the same poorly designed commercial chipset.
    Looks like its the Behringer in this case.
    []
    Does it do a true master fade, one dedicated slider for a global dimmer for all fxtures? (Think house lights) The manual is a bit confusing.
    []
    Steve

yes it has a main fader... it also has two buttons labeled special1 and special2 that can be assigned to a channel that can be simple on/off or flash on/flash off buttons... use those as simple toggles for the shutters on the mobos

for what you are doing you probably want it in theater mode, just make different scenes and make a list on a piece of paper for the ops to refer to

Thanks, and we did get the simulator flying that day when I called you for help, I drove 75 miles each way to a good used computer place... Got a honking big Dell tower for 100$, some place way South of Miami.
    Thanks again..

Steve

any time man

15 magical characters

Martin MPC is worth a look it will run 512 channels free on an enteck usb or you can look at Touch http://www.martin.com/en-us/product-details/m-touch which is becoming pretty popular and is pretty good it is above 200 you were looking at, and i wouldn't consider it light, MPC is super powerful

Chamsys is free too, and supports the Enttec Pro dongle. It has a simple view to make it like an old school fader desk if that's all you want to use it for.

P.S. programming one of the Behringer consoles made me want to poke my eyes out.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.