Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: laserworld ds1800rgb

Default laserworld ds1800rgb

i have read less than flattering reviews on this forum about laserworld products and poor customer service.however, everything i have read seems to be circa 2008 or so.... has laserworld cleaned up their act in recent times? i sure hope so because i ordered a ds1800rgb before i discovered this gold mine of information......but even if it isnt as advertised, at least i can be better armed on future purchases...... hopefully the product is as advertised......

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by dondorward View Post
    i have read less than flattering reviews on this forum about laserworld products and poor customer service.however, everything i have read seems to be circa 2008 or so.... has laserworld cleaned up their act in recent times? i sure hope so because i ordered a ds1800rgb before i discovered this gold mine of information......but even if it isnt as advertised, at least i can be better armed on future purchases...... hopefully the product is as advertised......
    yes. laserworld is working hard to become legit. i've met with the USA rep (francis) a number of times. he comes to SELEM and was at the last ILDA conference and he's trying hard to clean up the old laserworld mess. the higher end projectors they sell, like the RTI series, are quite good.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I currently have a CS1000, and I won't say it's the best projector nor the worst. I would imagine their diode series (DS) are probably a lot better. And +1 to Swami's post Francis is a great guy and has good intentions for the projectors especially their higher end ones as mentioned.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

+2 for Swami's post. Francis is a great guy and really is working hard to improve Laserworld's reputation and ensure that things, particularly is the US are all by the book. He probably unknowingly took on a monster task when accepting the position of President of Laserworld US but, has been a great person to get to know and great for the hobby market as well.
    PM Sent...

I developed a multi-stage "fix-kit" for the LW DS1800 last summer, after a considerable amount of "agro", although Lee, the UK rep, was very helpful indeed.

First up ...the Red is FAT so it spills over the edges of the scanner mirrors, but is still acceptable.

The biggest problem is its cooling, as the drivers are cooled through a secondary base plate on which the LDs are mounted. This plate is bolted to the heat-sink but still constitutes a terrible design fault, however it CAN be fixed.

If you live in a cool climate and you do not foresee much usage, this problem will be reduced drastically, but if you use it a lot (>1/2hr/day) in ambient temperatures above about 20C then the diode lives will be fairly short, unless you address the problem whilst the unit is still very young.

Bare in mind that the output power "guaranteed by LW" (very low in green,) is only guaranteed on the day of delivery .... after that, any reduction is theoretically your problem. This is something that the reps can do little to solve, other than organise replacement diode block units, which they have to charge quite a lot for.

As the power reduces over time, resist any temptation to raise the diode currents, as this will reduce the LD lives even quicker.

Unfortunately I had to wait until the unit was out of warranty before implementing the fix-kit, as the unit had been sold to a client who didn't want to take the risk of upsetting its warranty. You might well want to do the same, but it means budgeting for a replacement diode stack at end of year, just before doing the mods.

With hindsight, if I ever purchase one for my own use, I would do the mods the first day it arrives and forget the warranty entirely.

Apart from this (fixable) problem, the unit is pretty good value for money, considering what you get.

PM me, if you want more details concerning the DS1800-fix-kit.

Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 11-21-2016 at 17:59.

+3 for Francis and Laserworld USA. My first experience with a Laserworld laser 10+ years ago was terrible, but I'd trust them today as long as Francis was there to stand behind their products.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

In other words, you forgave them for selling something 10 years ago that they ripped people off now that they cleaned up their act. Did they gave you a voucher or a refund? let me guess...... nope

Good quallity comes with a price, buy a makita and you have exccellent service and it will last forever. Everyone can spend more but that needs patience. I can,t wait until my new laserworld has arrived and 3 months later its dead i read many times on PL. Can someone help me with my broken laser ?

My advice would be save a bit longer and do some more research before buying. Oh if you buy it as a toy then you have nothing to worry about. If you buy it for doing lasershows that are payed you need reliable equipment so its a different ball game.
    Last edited by edison; 11-22-2016 at 01:42.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

i ended up cancelling the ds1800 and ordered a xlaser instead

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    In other words, you forgave them for selling something 10 years ago that they ripped people off now that they cleaned up their act. Did they gave you a voucher or a refund? let me guess
    I wouldn't forgive or purchase from the European division for getting screwed a decade ago, but I have spent several hours with the leader of Laserworld USA and I'd trust him with any future purchases and recommend him to others.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    In other words, you forgave them for selling something 10 years ago that they ripped people off now that they cleaned up their act. Did they gave you a voucher or a refund? let me guess...... nope

Good quallity comes with a price, buy a makita and you have exccellent service and it will last forever. Everyone can spend more but that needs patience. I can,t wait until my new laserworld has arrived and 3 months later its dead i read many times on PL. Can someone help me with my broken laser ?

My advice would be save a bit longer and do some more research before buying. Oh if you buy it as a toy then you have nothing to worry about. If you buy it for doing lasershows that are payed you need reliable equipment so its a different ball game.
    kinda shitty to comment in a review thread for another manufacturer as a manufacturer

anyway I have two DS series laserworld projectors, the scanners are slow (20kpps), the red is fat... but besides that, they are nice little projectors... and it's nice doing a show with a light, compact projector instead of lugging around 40lbs plutos all the time