Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone make a decent commercial lumia projector?

I got the LK-PD3 from Laserking speak to linna she is on the forum I am very pleased with it. In addition to lumia it does 8 other effects as well. You will not be disappointed and the price is sub $500

There seems to be some language drift. In my time scanned effects through diffraction, lenticulars, etc. were called scan through effects. Scans that weren't of nouns (persons, places, or things) were abstracts. And then there were lumia (what Laserium called background effects) - these were what physicists call "caustics". It is certainly possible to do a lumia effect with a scanner behind it, but if you look at it and can tell the source is a scanner - It's kind of hard not to say it's a scan through effect. There were two reasons Laserium did "lumia" effects. One is they don't look like everything else you can do with the scanners, and two they're beautiful.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I am currently building an rgb lumia.. one of my DC motors I got was from servo city. It's half rpm. I like the quality. I ended up powering it with a pwm controller I got of Amzon. I can slow my lumia wheel pretty close to a stop.

Cool
    OK, 15 characters
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

These are what I use (the 0.6rpm version). Extremely smooth, very low noise (if any at all), large enough to hold almost any piece of glass and they are DC so, speed and direction controlling is easy as pie.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-6RPM-120RP...LOUkhRd5xqJdvw

The best thing about building your own lumia vs buying is, you get exactly what you're looking for. Everyone has their own taste, style and technique. I've seen some on here that are are gorgeous and others that are just okay. The "just okay" lumias aren't bad, they're just not my taste.
    Last edited by absolom7691; 12-06-2016 at 03:30.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I imagine that thing generates a serious amount of torque. I can relate to your "just okay" point. I will always be a child of my Laserium experience. The 1st projector I ever saw had 7 lumia effects and one scan glass for each scanner that were in a tray that a monster Ledex solenoid banged into place - all or nothing. The 2nd projector added 4 more lumia effects and 3 scan through effects for each of the 4 scanners that were individually addressable - with smaller but still noisy solenoids. (Of course the music was almost always much louder.) Then they added a 5 position "rock" turret over one of the lumia positions. Then they added a 5 position fiber turret bolted onto the side of the projector and fed from another lumia position. Somewhere along the line they added quick release scan through mounts so those too could be changed between shows. Laserium didn't go in for minimalism when it came to lumia. One of the things they got right from the beginning was having the option of adding a second motor driven or stationary pin registered effect to each lumia position. One of the things they got wrong was everything started from the same plane and built out. So when someone built a really cool effect that was thicker than normal (like one of my favorites that had two faceted crystal balls about two inches apart counter rotating in the beam path...) they stuck way out into space - requiring you position it next to narrow field effects to avoid shadows. Way back when the projectors had a cover that was opened as the lights went down at the beginning of the show and was closed as the lights came up. Adding the "rock turret" required the "pie tin mod" for the projector cover.

This is mine,

I have build pics on the forum
    leading in trailing technology

It's an interesting look you're getting from having different size and shaped beams superimposed going through the effect. You would have to work at it to get that look out of an Ion.

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Can you describe the capabilities of the projector you're envisioning?
    Good question. I think the Laserpod had several good characteristics:

- Upward projection so it worked for residential spaces
    - Small form factor and nice design (aka Wife Approval Factor). Doesn't look out of place sitting on a table, versus commercial gear which is very utilitarian and would need to be hidden in a residential space.
    - Swap out glass yourself as needed for different lumia fx

I would add:

- Better RGB lasers and optics (Laserpod has one weak red diode + a Swaroski crystal as a beam splitter)
    - More laser power (tough to reconcile with being able to swap out the glass I know).

I think it can be a pure lumia box, it doesn't need to include scanners etc, even though the combination is great. It probably doesn't need DMX control either, either onboard controls or ideally an app.

MOMA sells art lamps like the following for $1600. I have to imagine a nicely designed lumia box could sell for something similar and be 10x more interesting.

https://store.moma.org/museum/moma/P...3_30161_238491

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    These are what I use (the 0.6rpm version). Extremely smooth, very low noise (if any at all), large enough to hold almost any piece of glass and they are DC so, speed and direction controlling is easy as pie.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-6RPM-120RP...LOUkhRd5xqJdvw
    Thanks for the link. I gotta give it a try.

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions