Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who writes their own laser show software?

colouredmirrorball,

Wow, yeah, I had no idea LSX had that capability; really happy to hear that model has been pursued. I haven't dug into what the LSX/OSC API is yet, but I will check it out. I believe orienting around a model like this can really reduce the barrier to entry to writing interesting graphics code and visualizations without all of the utility stuff.

Oscillabstract is exactly the kind of stuff I was wondering about. So excited to see this kind of software creativity—a node based editor is a really neat idea.

I checked out your youtube channel and there are some really cool Leap Motion demos as well; drawing and 3d control of an object. Love this stuff.

—Joey

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Node based editing has been done before with DigiSynth. Sadly it's a bit out of reach for the hobbyist budget.

Leap Motion is cool but the real stuff requires a lot of work. There are only some basic gesture recognitions available. Playing around with finger coordinates can do simple stuff but if you use it in that way it's just a gimmick. It would be cool to have a feature where you can eg. swipe in midair to go to the next cue, make a gesture like an orchestra conductor to slow the effect speed down, change colour with a snap of your fingers etc. but that's not simple in any way. It's not reliable in that way, if you use it for these kind of triggers it would miss half of them and misinterpret the other half.

There are quite a few of us here on PL that have written our own laser software. The development of my app, Maxwell, is pretty well documented in this thread here:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...th-(analogish)

We've even had some decent f̶i̶g̶h̶t̶s̶ ̶ discussions about Mac vs PC for laser software... of course Mac always wins

Here is a jsfiddle page which can take a point array from an ILDA file and display an ILDA frame - all in html/javascript

http://jsfiddle.net/wj7tsqLe/10/

And here is a small little custom app which allows you to drag-n-drop ILDA files to display the frames, and export any of the frames as a set of points:

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    It started out as an idea to connect oscillators together to create abstracts. Then I wanted some options to dynamically rotate, translate, scale and colour the frame. Then suddenly I found out I created a node based ilda file editor/creator.

Then I made it output to LSX.

Next step is to add live inputs but that's not going to be for soon. I want to rewrite it first and I simply don't have the time for that.
    As The Count has previously stated, this is indeed awesome!

-Sal

Default Ask for development

Dear Sir/Maam

Would you please give me more detail of your work? may i have your email for further question? i want to develop a game framework, i am really interested to talk with you,

Regards,
    Sami

Quote Originally Posted by joeyhagedorn View Post
    Hi all,

Back in 2008 I worked on a variety of different pieces of laser display software for Mac OS. One of my favorites was a drawing app, that let you draw with the laser using a graphics tablet:

I also wrote an iTunes visualizer plugin to draw abstract pictures that interpreted the audio samples being played back, and worked with some other folks to build a module-based laser show app. It could import Adobe Flash animations, read and write ILDA files, and draw some basic lissajous figures.

Digging back into this stuff this week, I found it wasn't hard to recompile the drivers I had written and the test programs to play .ild files. The driver test app draws a simple rotating torus wireframe animation. It all seemed to work without too much hacking!

I cobbled together some vintage Catweazle scanners, the EasyLase DAC, and a home-brew 405nm laser pointer I had laying about and managed to capture this:

Anyway, excited to be writing laser show software again, even if the first little bits aren't terribly impressive. Who else is writing their own show software? What are the major guiding principles you've adopted in designing the user interface?