Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie looking for advice on what projector to buy.

Question Newbie looking for advice on what projector to buy.

I am new here, and to projectors. I currently have an account on LPF, but I have heard this forum is better for pjs. As I could not find any straight forward info on buying a first pj(sorry if I missed something obvious), I though I would ask you guys. After seeing a show with 3 watt rgb pjs, I was hooked The features I want are:

1) good Animation and 3d patterns, ideally a 20-40kpps scanner.

2) Low power. The room I plan to use it in is 10x15 feet, and I want to be able to view beams.

3) Good usability out of the box. As I am not sure if I really want to get into pjs yet, I want to get some good enjoyable usability out of the box before I buy software. I would like a good number of animations/patterns/beam effects and music detection.

4)An Ilda port for future expansion

5)reasonable quality.

6) Budget of $500-$600, though if it is the only option I have $1000

I know these are hard parameters to fit, but I hope I can figure something out. Thanks for your time
    Last edited by Glrock; 12-08-2016 at 16:51.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I would look at the Laserworld Proline 800RGB. Or perhaps a Laserking LK-PD3 Where in the world are you located? That may help with an answer. Both fall within that category although I don't know about built in patterns for the Proline. But, for $100 you could get a LaserDock dongle and pair the two together for some fun stuff before exploring software.
    PM Sent...

I am located in the Bay Area. Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with Emma Laser. yes, I know they are poor quality projectors but would they work? I am ok if the power is less than they claim, or the scan rate is lower but they are so cheap and have lots of patterns. I am very interested in this one. ://www.aliexpress.com/item/600mw-RGB-animation-analog-modulation-laser-light-show-DMX-ILDA-laser-disco-light-stage-laser-projector/2034967386.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.100.L6M36F&ws_ ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10065_10068 _10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10060_10061_10062_1 0056_10055_10054_10059_10033_10099_10078_10079_426 _10073_10103_10102_10096_10052_10050_10051-10033,searchweb201603_2&btsid=0f8d7010-48cf-4618-901c-7ef68562dd3b Thanks!

As long as you are in no way planning to use this laser for public display and most importantly in commerce, technically it's fine but... if you really want to know the truth, it's illegal to import. Bit of a catch 22 actually since, you are well within your right to have a laser projector for home use and entertainment however, the problem is you can't legally obtain it. Go figure! The LK-PD3 is in a similar category. The Proline though is ok.
    Now this really boils down to money and the fact that we hate to see people waste it. The hard truth is simply, if you want to get into this, that you are FAR better off saving a little more and going with something of better quality. I'm not saying you need to spend a fortune but, lets say you want to learn to play guitar. Do you go to Toys Are Us and get a $39.95 balsa wood thing with plastic strings or, do you at least go to Guitar Center and get a $199 Yamaha beginner. You don't need a $899 Martin or Ovation or anything. In a VERY short time you will find out the Toys Are Us guitar is not satisfying, sounds like crap, breaks, or whatever and will still end up going to Guitar Center and getting perhaps the $199 guitar and lament having wasted the money at Toys Are us in the first place. It's worth nothing. You can't sell it. It sits on the shelf. Whereas at least the $199 guitar you can put on eBay for $100 if you decide guitar isn't for you.
    Biggest lesson you can possibly learn and accept is that lasers aren't a cheap thing to get into. If I had it to do over again, I'd take the thousands I have spent and use it to fly to every laser enthusiast meet, every concert or laser show in my area and just be satisfied with enjoying them regularly on someone else's dime. Lol
    Keep searching!

(Oh.... and that laser will not score you any points with the babe in the Aliexpress ad! Jus sayin'.)
    PM Sent...

Definitely true about guitars! I only play Fender, Gibson, Ovation now, had some cheapo's in the past........

"You pay cheap, you pay twice!"

Stay clear of Emma Lasers. From what I read elsewhere, they have been selling a high quantity of counterfeit pangolin products. Pangolin are preparing a lawsuit towards China sellers. Agree 100% with Brad. Save up and get a proper projector. The ultra cheap Chinese boxes will not last long and they have very limited second hand value. A proper projector is easy to sell second hand.

I also bet you will regret not having a DAC and software at once. The build in effects are extremely limited compared to using a computer controlling the projector.

All written above are personal experience. Learned the hard and expensive way.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Thanks so much, I am thinking i wont buy a china laser any more. About secondhand. Is there anywhere I can find used high quality projectors? Thanks.

You can,t not for that budget

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Everyone's definition of "high" quality is different. One used high quality projector might sell for $25,000 and another for $6000. For someone just getting into this, it is entirely possible to come across something good that fits within your budget. As people upgrade their Lightspace projectors for example, they may sell something perfectly good for the home user for less than $1,000. The issue is having to keep a watch out and jump on the deals when they pop up.
    You might consider contacting Walt Meador at Laser Rentals (Lightspace USA) - http://www.lightspaceusa.com/ as he may very well have something off rent that is perfectly suitable. Second hand projectors from X-Laser pop up on eBay as well from time to time.
    PM Sent...

A better solution would be , be patient and save more money and buy a few months later. Do research and talk with people who have compared different brands european and china crap side by side. Quallity of a laser system is determined by a nr of factors. Everything from china is low to medium quallity as the parts , manufacturing and attention to detail is low , the beamquallity is not great and electronics are poor designed. Most people that buy their system has to open their brand new system and solve issues as shipping back is expencive and not all chinese companies will pay the bill. But prices are low so what can you expect. To do a good comparison you need to compare them side by side. Any european brand like Brightlight Laser equipment, RTI, Arctos etc use high quallity parts wich cost more. The metalfinish, the powersupplies, optics drivers etc everything is better. A 600 usd budget won,t buy these. It also depends on how your skills are , most guys except that what they buy from china has to be fixed from time to time and they do that themselves. In your case you probably can go with a second hand or a china one as its not being used as a toy to play with.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!