Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to drive the NUBM07E LD

I've seen the circuit for the p3 and its solid. I also had weird things happen but it's not the design. It's usually power or a bad batch of boards. The circuit is super sensitive which is why it is so good. If the board is off it messes with the function.
    I still prefer them and use them whenever possible.

Mr.K...First let me say...thank you...you are surly not talking down to me regarding electronics !! Quite the contrary !! I have a rudimentary grasp on Optics...but... concerning Electronics...Well..." I am a Lost Ball in Tall Weeds " !! Oh Yea !!
    I think my confusion is based upon discussions in past threads concerning using one (1) driver... to drive two (2) diodes ! In further recollection...I seem to remember pro's/con's concerning using a Parallel vs. Series wiring arrangement.
    So...this is something completely different !! OK...Now I understand...Only a parallel arrangement can provide more current ! Each of the two (2) driver units on the H2S unit are rated @ 2.2A max. The NUBM07E can take up to 5A ( With some degradation to MTTF of course ).
    SOooo...Do you predict any danger to the diode by having each driver adjusted to the max current setting of 2.2A...and having the
    each driver Anode/Cathode output going to a single NUBM07E LD ???.
    OR...Should I stop screwing around...and get a X-Worssee 5A and call it a day ????
    Thank you for your time to help !!! I have a scope...but...have very limited knowledge on how to use the unit !!! Gotta learn that also....So much learning to do...so little time !!
    Thank you, Bob
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Get the right device for the job. There are a million problems possible with using two devices in paralell. You have to take on faith they will like each other long term! They can for complex reasons decide not to share the load even. Running devices even single at top rating is asking for short term failure. Hell you'd be better off using three running at 1.4A. No get the single device rated for the load plus a good 30% or more headroom. Or use two drivers on two diodes and a pbs cube on diodes with less power and better specs.

Ps names Marc not Bob. Interestingly I know sooooo many people in electronics named bob. Kind of the engineer name.

Hahaha...Who names their kid " Bob " anymore !!! NOBODY !! We are an DoDo species !!!
    Anyway...THANK YOU...for saving my poor...helpless... NUBM07E LD a dark fate !! Both " Clickamouse " and I are working on Lumia Projectors... Both wanting to drive the NUBM07E to it's full potential !!
    We will take heed and purchase a higher current driver...most likely the 5A X-Worssee units !!
    Thanx again for your patients and assistance !!
    Bob
    Note: Clickamouse and I have been talking...it is high time we do a LEM...And...Cleveland would be a perfect central location !! Marc...what do you think ??
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

CD,

I too have used several drivers in parallel for increased current. The only negative is that a fault in any will screw things up. It is a little like flying the old multi engine Aztec. Two motors, each unable to provide enough power to keep flying and so, when either fails, the other will only be able to bring you to the crash site.

Get a single driver that will do the job, if you can.

I have a tangential question. I would like to pass two, very powerful beams through a single diffraction grating that slowly rotates, continuously. I have the gratings, but I need the rotating optical mounts. I want to set this up for Christmas and need to do this quickly. Any suggestions?

Mr.P...What is a " Rotating Optical mount " ??
    Is the grating a thin plastic film ? Just cut the grating in a circle...put a hole thru the center...If the DG is thin...just mount to a clear plastic disc....and then mount that to your rotator motor.
    I have a motor...which I received from Clickamouse.... which was used in a Lumia set up. I will check the RPM. I could drop it in the mail...2day...PM me with details...I am sure we can beat the deadline !!!
    SOoooo...MMMmmmm ??? " How much juice are ya putt'in thru the grating.. " ????? 5W....10 W...15W ??????? That'll lite up the stage !!!
    HO, Ho, ho
    CDBEAM

A rotating optical mount would simply support the glass grating (2"x3") and allow a slow motor to rotate it in the plane it is mounted against. My back up is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newport-RSA-...EAAOSwp5JWVLqg

With a 12V gear motor, belt driving the manual rotation knob.

Power? I'll PM you.

Well...one could do this....BUT....Seems a bit OTT !! See attached the motor I will send you...if you like.....12 VDC @ 5RPM....that might be slow enough for your application.....You are fighting a deadline......I say...just epoxy the 2" x 3" grating to the shaft mount adaptor...and give it a whirl !!!
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spare Motor 1.jpg  

Belt drive over a hollow cylinder. Grating in hollow