Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to drive the NUBM07E LD

Default How to drive the NUBM07E LD

Hello All !!
    I need to drive the NUBM07E to about 4.4 A and need analogue modulation to control the output

I wanted to use the H2S dual driver from LSP. Dave noted that the drivers should not connected in series.

Before my email exchange with Dave...I was assuming that I would use a series connection arrangement....with each of the two drivers on the H2S unit providing 2.2A a piece.
    But...he sez no ! OK...Anyone else out there using the H2S to drive the NUBM07E ?? In some fashion. did you connect both drivers on the board ? How ?? In a parallel arrangement ??...using balance resistors ???
    Finally....What other driver has anyone used to power up the NUBM07E. This LD is current hungry and I want to supply 4.4 A @ 5.0 VDC as a maximum.
    Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated !!!
    Thank you,
    CDBEAM
    Note: Wow...Just checked Ebay...many new drivers out there...X-Wossee, Lasertrac, Optlasers and Ricktrent...Anyone have ANY comments on these units ?????????????? I have had experience with Opt Lasers and Lasertrac....they have great quality !
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 12-17-2016 at 06:33. Reason: Added Ebay note
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Hey Robert!
    I have connected 07E and 08 to a badpip driver (Dual channel). Both channels paralleled and it works good. Up to 5A.
    It also works good in Flexmod driver at 4A (Tested!)
    It seems dual channel Lasertack driver is also capable to work paralelled, but not tested.
    More options...
    BBE:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/5A-analog-lin...oAAOSwiYFXHE-T
    Optlasers 0-5A Lite LPLDD, no SBS however
    Cheers!
    Last edited by jors; 12-17-2016 at 05:41.

If I recall a P3 will do 5A. I have a couple if you want me to ship ya one.
    leading in trailing technology

Hmmmmm ???? Thanx Jody !!!
    Well...Perhaps I will try a parallel hook-up with the 07E using the H2S from LSP???
    I already have the H2S mounted....so...the easiest solution is to use it....if possible !
    And...I forgot Lasertrack....they make very high quality items !!!!
    This 07E is part of a high power Lumia machine I am building !! Not your standard Lumia. !! I have been working with
    Clickamouse on this project ! Super slow speed, Music linkage and a few other goodies. Go Big or Go Home !! HAHAHAHA
    SOoo....I will try a parallel arrangement....with each H2S channel supplying a max of 2.2A...Thankfully...2.2A is the MAX output of each channel....so...I think I am safe to not overdrive the LD...well...overdrive is a relative word !! OK...Not overdrive past 4.4A !!
    We will see...I will report back here... Thank you for your very quick reply !!!! ...for once I get started...or restarted on a project....well....l am obsessed !!!...and this Lumia Machine is now consuming my brain !!! I want to stretch the envelope on this Lumia project....well...maybe...
    Just about the time one thinks they are the " first " to do something....well....typically...one finds out that this was done...years ago !!
    Oh well....keeps me humble !!
    Thanx,
    Later
    Bob
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 12-17-2016 at 06:27.
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

John.....You have returned !!! I knew you would !!! " Coherent light " is eventually compelling !!! Jems are a great interest...but...they generate no light...just reflect it !!
    Anyway....Thank you for your offer....I may take you up on it !!!!!! The P3 is a standard !!!
    You will be interested in my adventures into Lumia !!! I have several more Lumia generation ideas...beyond the unit I am working on now...brewing in me head !!!
    Honestly....I think ...Lumia with modulation and novel beam combination techniques ( Not my idea...see DSLI-Jon ) are a very ripe for harvest !!!
    We will see...the proof is in the " Video "....and the Winter months in Michigan a prime time to build !!!...as you well know !!
    I will try the parallel wiring with the H2S...and see what that delivers !!!
    Thanx,
    Bob

Ups sorry, yes 5A P3.
    If you re going to parallel HS2 try with dummy load first!
    Last edited by jors; 12-17-2016 at 08:46.

Yes...I have a nice and big Dummy Load unit made by Lazereer...and I will check First !!! Hate to smoke a beautiful 07E !!! Will post what I find !! Just another adventure !! Thanx,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    I need to drive the NUBM07E to about 4.4 A and need analogue modulation to control the output
    . . Note: Wow...Just checked Ebay...many new drivers out there...X-Wossee, Lasertrac, Optlasers and Ricktrent...Anyone have ANY comments on these units ?????????????? I have had experience with Opt Lasers and Lasertrac....they have great quality !
    Howdy CDBEAM!

I've purchased about a dozen different types of drivers and after testing, I found significant flaws in just about all of them. Dave's is decent but as you describe, doesn't meet your requirements. As Jors pointed out, I'd check out BBE's (AKA X-Wossee, AKA Vladimir) offering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162291013120...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've been crowing about his 3A driver for months now and have replaced nearly all my drivers with this model. It's feature rich and has no errors that I can identify. Add to that, its dirt-cheap! I only have one of the 5A model (and four on the way), but I haven't pushed it to its limits. That said, considering well the 3A is working, I'd think it worth the US$32.50 to try the 5A version for your project.

I would not recommend the P3 with beam suppression. Although I have had reasonable success with the P3 without beam suppression, I have had a dozen or so failures of the BS version of the P3 including failure of BS (!), erratic output causing sudden death to diodes (!!), pots getting stuck at full output (!!!), etc. Not to mention it takes some skillful soldering to get the resistors mounted to the BS version, which I find is getting challenging as my eyes get older. I'm dumping these faster than a mobster dumps rug-wrapped bodies into the river.

-David
    Last edited by dkumpula; 12-17-2016 at 11:18.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Howdy CDBEAM!

I've purchased about a dozen different types of drivers and after testing, I found significant flaws in just about all of them. Dave's is decent but as you describe, doesn't meet your requirements. As Jors pointed out, I'd check out BBE's (AKA X-Wossee, AKA Vladimir) offering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162291013120...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've been crowing about his 3A driver for months now and have replaced nearly all my drivers with this model. It's feature rich and has no errors that I can identify. Add to that, its dirt-cheap! I only have one of the 5A model (and four on the way), but I haven't pushed it to its limits. That said, considering well the 3A is working, I'd think it worth the US$32.50 to try the 5A version for your project.

I would not recommend the P3 with beam suppression. Although I have had reasonable success with the P3 without beam suppression, I have had a dozen or so failures of the BS version of the P3 including failure of BS (!), erratic output causing sudden death to diodes (!!), pots getting stuck at full output (!!!), etc. Not to mention it takes some skillful soldering to get the resistors mounted to the BS version, which I find is getting challenging as my eyes get older. I'm dumping these faster than a mobster dumps rug-wrapped bodies into the river.

-David
    Hi David...Thanks for the report...especially on the X-Worssee units !!! The price is very good...looks solid built !
    I just wish I did not have to wait on the shipping from Russia !! I am an Impatient Bastard !!
    I will try to parallel wire the LSP H2S unit and check out the output ~ f( 0-5 VDC) modulation. A while back, I purchased a nice Lazereer Dummy Load ... which will go up to 10A !!! I will let ya know....but...if I see ANYTHING funny on my scope....I will deep six the LSP and order the X-Worssee 5A !!!
    As to my opinion of the P3...well...I too experienced several..." Anomalies ".... meaning LD's going poof....Now that you have opened this " Pandora's Box ".....I did not want to say this...BUT....most P3's worked fine....a few did not....back when a Oclarro 63193 was 100 bucks....this was a sad event indeed !!
    One must admit that the P3 was...I believe....the first driver entering the reasonable price range for us....but alas...I do not really trust them.....and the ones that failed were the "BS" type.
    SO...I will experiment....and report back !! Anyone else with more experience with parallel wiring the LSP H2S ??????? Jordy...have you done this arrangement with the H2S ???? David...do you see any reason I should not try a parallel wiring arrangement using the H2S ?????
    I hate to abandon this H2S driver....but...I will hate even more to let the "Magic Smoke" outta the 07E !!!
    Later
    CDBEAM
    Note: The 07E will be used on this project.....
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ighlight=Lumia
    Work has finally resumed on this off the wall project !!!!
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 12-17-2016 at 17:56. Reason: Aded note re: Solar Promonence III project

On your first post you said you wanted to put the drivers in series. I want to point out current in series stays the same and voltage adds. Current adds in paralell and voltage divides between the branches. Etotal= I1*R1+I2*R2. For series. Rearrange
    Itotal=E1/R1+E2/R2. Parallel is more complex but the point is as stated. Always think series voltage add paralell current adds. Easy to remember without the math.

If I'm speaking down to you I'm sorry it just seemed you were thinking backwards.