Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need Technical Suggestions for a new On-Going Laser Light Show in a movie theatre

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    ... So when someone bemoans that after the first x minutes "it" gets old it's an indictment of that particular experience not laser shows in general.
    Yes! This! There's so much more to lasers than just kpps, graphics and how many idla projectors that can be crammed on stage.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    As you well know, Swamidog, the "Eyes Wide Shut Experience" is held the second Friday of every month.

Speaking of which, as an 'unmarried computer programmer', its your turn to be the sacrificial virgin. Wear something lacy. :0

-David
    i already performed the forbidden dance of a thousand veils for you and mrs. dk... what next, the dance of the three snakes?

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

You are assuming you're average.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Hey! My daughter had a high fever last weekend, otherwise we totally would have been there!

-David
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

The reason to do a Dark Side of the Moon show isn't because single band shows are better or more popular or this or that music is better for laser shows than others. The reason to do a Dark Side of the Moon show is Pink Floyd fans are more likely to seek you out. It simplifies the marketing challenge.
    Totally agree most PF fans love watching lasers to PF. That's why an entire show devoted to PF works. What doesn't work for me is having Lee Greenwood, then Heart, then Pink Floyd, then Kanye finished off by Garth Brooks. Seems like this show would appeal to the masses since it has a little bit of everything but I think most people find this to be a turn off and don't even consider buying the ticket or if they did coming back a second time.

Some of my favorite Lasers show are Metallica for an hour, Led Zepplin for an hour, then of course PF. I think there are bands today like Daft Punk, Tool, Royksopp, etc. that would A) make good laser shows and B) hold peoples attention for an hour.

I agree with Discothefunkyhippo. Its about taking the audience on a journey for an hour. Hard changes in genre or band choice can disrupt the journey.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

The first laser show I ever saw had the following play list:

Neptune - Gustav Holst
    Tank - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    The Blue Danube - Johann Strauss
    Timesteps - Wendy Carlos
    Adagio (from Concerto Grosso OP. 6 NO. 9) - Arcangelo Corelli
    Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun - Pink Floyd
    Pepper Box - The Peppers
    Abaddon's Bolero - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    Gimme Shelter - Cal Tjader/Jagger/Richards
    Echoes - Pink Floyd
    Hoedown - Emerson, Lake & Palmer

It opened in St. Louis June of 1975 running 15 shows five nights a week, and 385 tickets was a sell out. it sold out every show for weeks. (and most shows for months...) After about 3 months the schedule was trimmed to 12 shows per week, 2 on Wednesday, 2 on Thursday, 3 on Friday, 3 on Saturday, and 2 on Sunday. That schedule with occasional modifications ran for 8 or 9 years. That first show ran for 92 weeks before Laserium II premiered. Laserium I was still regularly selling out the last two shows on Friday and Saturday nights at the end of its run. I can't tell you the number of people I've heard say anthology shows don't work - All I can saw is some of the most successful and longest running shows Laserium ever did were anthology shows.
    Last edited by laserist; 12-21-2016 at 13:22.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

You made me go and YouTube a couple of those pieces. Interesting list. Doing a show to classical music is something that has been on my list to tackle one of these days. May have to listen to a few of these in the car a few times and see what vision comes to mind.
    PM Sent...

The piece by Corelli was a lumia number that was done with a pebbled plexiglass wheel. Neptune coincidentally used the same pebbled plexiglass wheel and a much finer grain plexiglass standoff for a finer effect. Laserium had a mirror on a galvo that the operator could use to sweep the rygb beams across the lumia effect - in case you've ever wondered about how the lumia was moving to the music. Tank was a scan thru joystick (points!) to the drum solo and just joystick points with chopper. Danube was Lissajous loops, eights, and offsets. Timesteps was a cycloid development number. Heart of the sun was a diffraction effect with a Liquid crystal fuzz effect, selsyn, and some little bit of scans. (On the Mark VI it evolved a bunch) Pepperbox was lots of audio mod and fixed cycloids. Bolero was a spiral development number. Gimme Shelter was a short lumia number where the RYGB beams were reflected off thin crinkled aluminized mylar. Echos was another cycloid development number. Hoedown was pretty much in your face everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    You made me go and YouTube a couple of those pieces. Interesting list. Doing a show to classical music is something that has been on my list to tackle one of these days. May have to listen to a few of these in the car a few times and see what vision comes to mind.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

is this the danube show?

The piece by Corelli was a lumia number that was done with a pebbled plexiglass wheel. Neptune coincidentally used the same pebbled plexiglass wheel and a much finer grain plexiglass standoff for a finer effect. Laserium had a mirror on a galvo that the operator could use to sweep the rygb beams across the lumia effect - in case you've ever wondered about how the lumia was moving to the music. Tank was a scan thru joystick (points!) to the drum solo and just joystick points with chopper. Danube was Lissajous loops, eights, and offsets. Timesteps was a cycloid development number. Heart of the sun was a diffraction effect with a Liquid crystal fuzz effect, selsyn, and some little bit of scans. (On the Mark VI it evolved a bunch) Pepperbox was lots of audio mod and fixed cycloids. Bolero was a spiral development number. Gimme Shelter was a short lumia number where the RYGB beams were reflected off thin crinkled aluminized mylar. Echos was another cycloid development number. Hoedown was pretty much in your face everything...
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Yes, but in it's original form the lumia didn't have the diffraction insert.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    is this the danube show?

I watched the YouTube above...

What a great example of why laser shows aren't popular.