Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get LSX to see DAC

I'm having this problem as well.

1. Etherdream gets DHCP IP assignment on my private network (Cisco Linksys Router/Wi-Fi/Ethernet switch, with no Private network restrictions).
    2. I can ping the Etherdream from my LSX Win10 desktop.
    3. Win10 Private network firewall turned off, sitter.exe lists nothing
    4. Win10 Private network firewll turned on, with Inbound/Outbound rules enabled for TCP 7765 and UDP 7654, sitter.exe lists nothing
    5. LSX DAC setup lists nothing as well with Etherdream box checked

Any ideas?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

if sitter can't see it, LSX never will

i suggest rechecking your firewall and router configuration. maybe there's something running outside of the win10 firewall that's blocking the ED ports and protocols.

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    I'm having this problem as well.

1. Etherdream gets DHCP IP assignment on my private network (Cisco Linksys Router/Wi-Fi/Ethernet switch, with no Private network restrictions).
    2. I can ping the Etherdream from my LSX Win10 desktop.
    3. Win10 Private network firewall turned off, sitter.exe lists nothing
    4. Win10 Private network firewll turned on, with Inbound/Outbound rules enabled for TCP 7765 and UDP 7654, sitter.exe lists nothing
    5. LSX DAC setup lists nothing as well with Etherdream box checked

Any ideas?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    if sitter can't see it, LSX never will

i suggest rechecking your firewall and router configuration. maybe there's something running outside of the win10 firewall that's blocking the ED ports and protocols.
    Thanks swamidog.

I can telnet to the ED IP address's TCP port 7765, so I know nothing is blocking that port by anything within Win10. Testing UDP Port 7654 is a little more tricky.

What protocols does the ED use?

you could try direct attaching the ED to your computer and bypassing the router.

when dhcp on the computer and the ED timeout, the nics on each will self assign into the same non routable ip range and they should be able to talk. it usually takes 2-3 minutes for this to happen.

Thanks swamidog.

I can telnet to the ED IP address's TCP port 7765, so I know nothing is blocking that port by anything within Win10. Testing UDP Port 7654 is a little more tricky.

What protocols does the ED use?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

you could try direct attaching the ED to your computer and bypassing the router.

when dhcp on the computer and the ED timeout, the nics on each will self assign into the same non routable ip range and they should be able to talk. it usually takes 2-3 minutes for this to happen.
    I saw this suggestion of yours earlier in this thread, I believe. Its a good last resort, as I need this to work first on a private network.
    I found Microsoft has a really cool network utility named "portqry" and "portqryui" that work with all versions of Windows from XP to Win10 including Windows 200x servers. The UI version is more user friendly and can be found here http://download.microsoft.com/downlo.../PortQryUI.exe

First, I tested TCP Port 7765 and it (just like Telnet) shows:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portqryui TCP 7765.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	52309

Next, I tested UDP Port 7654 and it show:

Name:	Portqryui UDP 7654.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	52310

Notice that the ED at 192.168.1.114 responds back "LISTENING", so these ports are not being blocked by Win10 and therefore must be something else. (it would seem )

unfortunately, i'm totally not a windows person.

I saw this suggestion of yours earlier in this thread, I believe. Its a good last resort, as I need this to work first on a private network.
    I found Microsoft has a really cool network utility named "portqry" and "portqryui" that work with all versions of Windows from XP to Win10 including Windows 200x servers. The UI version is more user friendly and can be found here http://download.microsoft.com/downlo.../PortQryUI.exe

First, I tested TCP Port 7765 and it (just like Telnet) shows:

Name:	Portqryui TCP 7765.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	52309

Next, I tested UDP Port 7654 and it show:

Name:	Portqryui UDP 7654.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	52310

Notice that the ED at 192.168.1.114 responds back "LISTENING", so these ports are not being blocked by Win10 and therefore must be something else. (it would seem )

unfortunately, i'm totally not a windows person.
    Linux? or variant?, OS X? Other?

I do Win, OS X, Suse Linux (although it been a few years since I was on Linux)

my background is osx, aix, linux (suse and redhat), and solaris.

Linux? or variant?, OS X? Other?

I do Win, OS X, Suse Linux (although it been a few years since I was on Linux)

(my life after lasers was as a network engineer)
    Connecting an Ethernet interface of one node to another node and expecting them to talk to each other is/was normally done using an Ethernet cross-over cable, so the Rx pair of one node was receiving from the Tx pair of the other node and visa-versa. So I had low expectation that doing so with a standard cable would prove fruitful....unless the Etherdream ports can automatically switch Rx pairs with Tx pairs as required. I didn't see any evidence of that capability on the ether-dream website, however.

I powered down the ED, then connected the Ethernet cable from the ED to the computer Ethernet card directly. I cleared the PC of its IP configuration and waited for the command line, "ipconfig /all" to show the 169.254.x.x to appear, waited a while longer then powered up the ED. Waited even longer, then ran sitter.exe again.....same results, no talkie.

Also, in all tests having the projector ON and connected or not to the ED made no difference either.

Without sitter.exe results though we do not know which firmware version I have, except to say that Jacob's ether-dream site states that Innolasers sells LSX with EtherDream 2.

I sent Jacob an email earlier so I guess I should wait to hear from him now.

Thanks swami

if either of the devices contain a gig nic, no crossover cable is needed. it *should* just work.

is there any sort of other firework / networking doom you can check on your pc?

you've got nothing to lose by trying.

(my life after lasers was as a network engineer)
    Connecting an Ethernet interface of one node to another node and expecting them to talk to each other is/was normally done using an Ethernet cross-over cable, so the Rx pair of one node was receiving from the Tx pair of the other node and visa-versa. So I had low expectation that doing so with a standard cable would prove fruitful....unless the Etherdream ports can automatically switch Rx pairs with Tx pairs as required. I didn't see any evidence of that capability on the ether-dream website, however.

I powered down the ED, then connected the Ethernet cable from the ED to the computer Ethernet card directly. I cleared the PC of its IP configuration and waited for the command line, "ipconfig /all" to show the 169.254.x.x to appear, waited a while longer then powered up the ED. Waited even longer, then ran sitter.exe again.....same results, no talkie.

Also, in all tests having the projector ON and connected or not to the ED made no difference either.

Without sitter.exe results though we do not know which firmware version I have, except to say that Jacob's ether-dream site states that Innolasers sells LSX with EtherDream 2.

I sent Jacob an email earlier so I guess I should wait to hear from him now.

Thanks swami