Thread: V/P ratio Power meter from 100W Yag laser unit. Company ''Laser" PC1064A ; AP2027100

Default V/P ratio Power meter from 100W Yag laser unit. Company ''Laser" PC1064A ; AP2027100

Hello,

This is my first post ever.

I want to confirm the output power of a laser unit that I bought from eBay. I have a nice laser power meter from another disassembled laser, two in fact, but I can't find any info about the meters online. You can see the meter in the photos below. The numbers on it are PC1064A on the PCB and AP2027100 on a label sticked on it, but nothing comes up when I Google them. It has an OP07 op-amp IC as a voltage amplifier, which was the only useful info I have, because there are datasheets available for it. So from that I was able to figure out how to connect power and read the sensor by looking where the pins from the IC go. I get about 1.5V reading on the output pin when aiming the unconfirmed 20W laser. But I really don't know how to interpret those 1.5 Volts without any info about the sensor. Therefore, I can't really confirm the 20W power, which is what I'm interested in. So all I really need is the Voltage/Power ratio for the sensor and if it stays linear over the range. Does anyone here owns a laser like that or knows anyone who might know about it? I also attached a photo of the laser. It's a 100W Yag laser. Any lead on where to look or ask would be very helpful.

Muchas Gracias.

P.S. I'm a laser noob at the moment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1629.JPG  

IMG_1630.JPG  

IMG_1632.JPG  

I believe that laser head is from a Sharplan laser; did you buy this from a chap in Essex by any chance? (I'm assuming you're in the UK)
    The power detectors probably won't do you any good as they will not be calibrated; you'll need access to a calibrated power meter or a known laser of the same wavelength in order to calibrate those sensors.
    As a newbie, I'd be VERY careful around that laser head, 100W of invisible laser radiation is seriously dangerous; may I suggest you start off with something a lot safer, i.e. visible and considerably less powerful. The Sharplan lasers are often used for surgical procedures, think of it as an invisible scalpel - not something you would want to come across accidentally!

Yes, I think he was from Essex. I just received a message from him in eBay, and he's saying that it might have been 100mV/W, so I'm actually probably getting 15W, but he's not really sure about it. Says that's how the sensors are usually set up. In terms of precision, I would be fine if the measurement is +/- 1W off. Would just like to know the approx ratio.
    So what you're saying is that each sensor has a little different V/Power ratio, even if made by the same brand and there is no way of actually knowing it without using another laser of a know power and calibrating from that?

I actually want to measure the power of a different laser unit which is supposed to be 20W, also ~1064nm, but yes, still I know about the dangers. Getting my eyes in the beam or a strong reflection and I'm very likely a blind person for life. Nice comparison - invisible scalpel... Sounds scary.. The 100W laser in the picture is currently in a non-working state. The lamp is dead and I don't have the lamp's power supply either. Maybe will try to pump it with diodes at some point, if I get a hold of any high output 808nm.

You both, suggested that I might try to use a laser of a know power and the same wavelength. Will try to find if my Uni has something and if they can help out. Thanks for help NobleGas

Quote Originally Posted by SpacefaringDog View Post
    So what you're saying is that each sensor has a little different V/Power ratio, even if made by the same brand and there is no way of actually knowing it without using another laser of a know power and calibrating from that?
    Yes, that's pretty much it; even when calibrated, you'll be in the region of 1% accurate at best, the sensorswere never intended for laboratory precision measurements.
    Getting my eyes in the beam or a strong reflection and I'm very likely a blind person for life. Nice comparison - invisible scalpel... Sounds scary..
    Not only that, but there's a strong chance of mysterious fires starting unexpectedly!
    The 100W laser in the picture is currently in a non-working state. The lamp is dead and I don't have the lamp's power supply either. Maybe will try to pump it with diodes at some point, if I get a hold of any high output 808nm.
    I think that's the same 100W laser I'm thinking of, he mentioned the failed lamp in the auction I seem to remember.

Yeah, probably the same then. Bought it last spring. Mainly just for taking apart and learning about lasers, the price was really cheap imo anyway. But my main interest is lasers >200W. Currently out of my scope. My dream is a CNC laser machine for cutting metal, that's how I got into this

I already burnt a little hole in the wall of my room. But on purpose, as I still need to paint and fix few places anyway.