Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newer washes

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    So the by hand spin test is using the single mode beams?

Are you using correction on you multimode diodes especially the red? I wonder if divergence comes into play as well.
    Hand spin test is single mode.

No correction on the red. No correction on blue or green either. I figured who cares since its Lumia but maybe your right and that is creating the difference. I have another multi mode diode that should be showing up soon along with the optics to correct it. Maybe I can cobble together a side by side comparison.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

In my experience (which isn't much) the fast moving effect that your green was producing is similar to what I've seen when the beam is focused sharply at the grating. When I expand the beam at the grating the projections fans out more and slows down. Too much expansion and the whole thing becomes a boring fog but too little expansion and you get a small, bright projection area that dances around erratically. I guess the 3 things I would check are 1) are all the beams close to the same size when they strike the grating, 2) is each beam hitting the grating in the same spot/same distance from center, and 3) is each beam striking the grating at the same angle, presumably 90°. Assuming your beams are aligned on top of one another they should be hitting the grating at the same location as well as the same angle. The only thing left I can think of is beam diameter at the grating.
    LASERS!!

1x Homemade 500mW 405nm Projector
    1x Homemade 1.2W RGB Projector
    1x Lightspace Color Ray Series 6W RGB
    2x Lightspace Venus 2W RGB

ZPL Lighting www.zpllighting.com

That plasma lumia effect is gorgeous!
    Last edited by acheter; 01-22-2018 at 11:46.

the plasma effect is super nice, is that just your fun word for it, is or plasma involved? is there any particular beam expander or brand / selection you recommend? i have some "fat beam" lasers that i got with a lens already permanently fixed onto them, and i noticed they really work a lot better for lumia (most of the time) when i use them, but they are all single color, i'd love to mount a beam expander in front of one of my ILDA projectors, i see so many online, any advice? i'm unable to accquire more of the chinese fat beams, nor do i remember where i accquired them

ive seen similiar moving ripply things like in the plasma video, but it was always from slightly melting lighting gels, doing reflective lumia effects, when the power was dialed in just right, the gel would just slightly burn, not enough to make a hole thru it, but enough to make trippy little ripples and things in the lumia, it also made the effect ever changing, i think if i did it long enough the filter would burn thru.

"Here is a video from my lumia side. You can see that there is hardly any yellow and the green jumps around the screen at a different rate then the blue and red."

The difference is entirely about the sizes of the beams. For Lumia you almost never want the beams superimposed, and if they're not superimposed they not only look better you can focus them independently. You only need tight beams for scans and diffraction grating effects. This is why Lumia and the ILDA standard projector don't get along...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Can you elaborate a little more about beam size? I am not quite sure why this would cause one color lumia to move faster than the others going through the same wheel. In this setup when it comes to beam size I would say the Red is the largest followed by green in the middle and blue with the smallest beam size.

On a side not I have not seen anyone else show that they have the same result. Not saying that my diode is special just that right now I am a single data point and I have not seen anyone else recreate what I am seeing on my rig. I have played around with lots of lumia wheels with lots of different diodes. This is the first diode I have noticed that gives a result where the green color moves much faster than the blue and red.

Have you noticed this effect with some of your lumia? Can you show a video of the beam sizes before the lumia wheel then show that one color is moving faster than the others? I would love to know what exactly causes this effect so I can figure out how to do it with the other colors. It has become super useful in my shows because I can have slow lumia and fast lumia at the same time through the same wheel with the speed of the wheel being constant. SO I am quite happy with the effect just want to learn more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    "Here is a video from my lumia side. You can see that there is hardly any yellow and the green jumps around the screen at a different rate then the blue and red."

The difference is entirely about the sizes of the beams. For Lumia you almost never want the beams superimposed, and if they're not superimposed they not only look better you can focus them independently. You only need tight beams for scans and diffraction grating effects. This is why Lumia and the ILDA standard projector don't get along...
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

The smaller the beam size the "faster" the effect moves. If a beam is 1/2 the diameter of another it's only illuminating any part of the lumia disk 1/2 of the time and only 1/4 the area. When a 2mm diameter beam and a 4mm diameter beam are superimposed and projected through a piece of shower glass the 2mm diameter has twice as many diameters to travel per unit of time as the 4mm diameter beam. If the beam is too large (relative to the - call it frequency (or bumps per inch) - of your effect you loose the ideal situation where the beam is dispersed into one more or less single complex evolving diffraction pattern and instead get a number of overlapping diffraction patterns. A high frequency effect disk that just doesn't work with your beam diameter can be really nice when you project the beam(s) through a low frequency effect and then run the result through the the high frequency effect disk at some distance from the low freq disk.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I wonder if you can add yellow by using a non coherent source and collimating the flashlight. You use a filter to introduce color. Or a monochromatic to select whatever. I remember seeing a simulated laser display in years past that did a respectable job of focusing the beam.

You can absolutely do Lumia* without lasers, but you lose the interference fringes.

*The word Lumia was coined by Thomas Wilfred in the early 1900's to describe what he was doing with light.