Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newer washes

Default Newer washes

A couple effects I added over the last month

Last edited by polishedball; 01-30-2017 at 08:16.
    leading in trailing technology

That plasma lumia effect is gorgeous! Any suggestions on duplicating it?
    LASERS!!

1x Homemade 500mW 405nm Projector
    1x Homemade 1.2W RGB Projector
    1x Lightspace Color Ray Series 6W RGB
    2x Lightspace Venus 2W RGB

ZPL Lighting www.zpllighting.com

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroPoint View Post
    That plasma lumia effect is gorgeous! Any suggestions on duplicating it?
    Beam expander, plus https://www.menards.com/main/kitchen...72244646814110 , plus torch to give it some dimple surface. Mount it on a motor and your all set.

@polishedball What is your technique for getting yellow. Are you using a yellow line from something? It seems like every time I do diode lumia my green and red separate too much and just make red and green. Even if I have a combined static yellow beam entering the Lumia wheel. If you are just using diodes what kind of power are we talking about? I have a 700mw Red and a 700mW 520 green that I am using in my Lumia. Would the difference between 532 and 520 maybe be causing my lack of yellow?
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    @polishedball What is your technique for getting yellow. Are you using a yellow line from something? It seems like every time I do diode lumia my green and red separate too much and just make red and green. Even if I have a combined static yellow beam entering the Lumia wheel. If you are just using diodes what kind of power are we talking about? I have a 700mw Red and a 700mW 520 green that I am using in my Lumia. Would the difference between 532 and 520 maybe be causing my lack of yellow?
    I am using 500mw of 532, 445 and 638. They are all pretty well converged and actually have 2 dichros on motorized mounts though I never use the function. The yellow often breaks from the hottest beam area, I did notice if I start stacking some effects ahead of others (I can turn in mirrors or 50/50 dichros) the yellow is greatly diminished so the beam power plays into it and I think the tightness of the green beam to start.

It is funny you asked that as I was wondering the same this weekend and was trying to answer the question, where are the yellow, brownish, and magenta colors coming from. The wheels I bought from you also make a great yellow in my rig. I'll did a little deeper and actually measure beam powers at the effect tonight / this week and let you know exactly when there at and take some divergence shots. More info to follow.

I have a single mode lumia build on my bench right now, making a ceiling wash nightlight for my youngest. More of a lay down and rest, it will be on a timer. So i'll let you know if I get yellow from that as well.

This shows more of the effects for those who may have missed them in the old build threads.

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    The wheels I bought from you also make a great yellow in my rig. I'll did a little deeper and actually measure beam powers at the effect tonight / this week and let you know exactly when there at and take some divergence shots. More info to follow.
    Interesting data point on the wheel you got from me. When I use 520nm and turn the wheel at a constant speed the green clouds will move around the screen much faster than the blue and red. When I use 532 everything moves at the same speed.

Well time to clean the optics, I guess an open frame in a basement, drywall work etc, takes a toll. This did measure about 2.5W when I built it. Now a weee bit less.

Power
    532nm 250mw
    638nm 280mw
    445nm 480mw

Attached some pics to get an idea of beam profile, I am running no correction on the blue, but am correcting the red with 6X optics though didn;t set it to the tightest possible beam.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 (9).JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	309.7 KB 
ID:	51629Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2 (8).JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	51630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3 (5).JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	411.6 KB 
ID:	51631

and a partial pic of lumiastien

Name:	photo 4 (3).JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	509.3 KB 
ID:	51632

here you can see the lucite knob I used in the plasma effect, also have had good results blowing test tube glass.

Name:	photo 5 (2).JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	242.9 KB 
ID:	51633
    Last edited by polishedball; 01-30-2017 at 17:20.

So I did some testing on my rig last night. I have a dual head with my single mode graphics on one side and my multi mode lumia on the other.

Here is a video from my lumia side. You can see that there is hardly any yellow and the green jumps around the screen at a different rate then the blue and red.

Here is a video using the same wheel turned by hand instead of a motor. To my amazement I am getting very similar yellow, brown, purple as your rig. Also it looked like the green changes at the same rate as the blue and red but its kind of hard to tell when spinning by hand.

Both heads use 520nm green. One hypothesis is the multi mode is closer to 515nm and the single mode is closer to 525 and that this difference is causing the differences between the two. A future test I have planned is to add a 532nm to the lumia head so I can see how it reacts in the system. My guess is I will get more yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    So I did some testing on my rig last night. I have a dual head with my single mode graphics on one side and my multi mode lumia on the other.

Both heads use 520nm green. One hypothesis is the multi mode is closer to 515nm and the single mode is closer to 525 and that this difference is causing the differences between the two. A future test I have planned is to add a 532nm to the lumia head so I can see how it reacts in the system. My guess is I will get more yellow.
    So the by hand spin test is using the single mode beams?

Are you using correction on you multimode diodes especially the red? I wonder if divergence comes into play as well.