Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety Glasses

Default Safety Glasses

Good day laserpeeps,

I am looking into glasses, currently going to order a 6w blue from DTRs site and play around to learn.
    I need a pair of safety glasses, from my reading OD 5 or better.

http://www.survivallaserusa.com/Eagl...2_7862033.aspx

Any recommendations would be great. I am also looking at the 1w green 532nm from DTRs site.
    Just need to cover the spectrum(s).

Regards,
    Wally

Good day to you!

I'm currently using those, bought them directly from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Glasse.../dp/B00UJ7R6GK

They're doing their job perfectly. You can wear them together with your regular glasses if needed.

Best Regards
    IO.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

OD 1.5 , the density in IOBrien87's link, reduces the beam intensity by only 150 times. Not enough for most lasers in show service.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

darkrider and what did you choose? Please praise me, because I am also wondering what to buy.

Since we are in the 15-20W range now in RGB can someone recommend one that you still can see the beams when doing allignment for example?

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    OD 1.5 , the density in IOBrien87's link, reduces the beam intensity by only 150 times. Not enough for most lasers in show service.

Steve
    I maybe missing something, but I was taught:
    each .3 of optical density (Absorbance) is roughly 1/2 the light. 1.5 optical density is 1/32 the original intensity. (1/10^density)
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

One size does not fit all. You need a range of od to cover what you are doing. You can also put some resistors on the input to limit the possible input voltage so you can't get zapped full power from a signal. Resistors are cheap. You can also put a filter or beam splitter dump on the beam before the scanners to drop the power down but doesn't help for aligning. You are right though that if you cant see you can't work.

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Since we are in the 15-20W range now in RGB can someone recommend one that you still can see the beams when doing allignment for example?
    Turn down the laser brightness as far as possible. You don't need 20W beams for alignment.

Turn down the laser brightness as far as possible. You don't need 20W beams for alignment.
    I,m aware of it, We building sources for more then 6 years now but when doing allignment on an 8W green with running them at lasing point its still damn bright. Soon we will do a 16W green so buying a good pair of glasses would be a good investment.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Some beams shift position a little when run hot. Mounts change position as they heat. You can run the projector full bore and warm it up and then back down to a few hundred mw for the final align. Again resistors are your friends. I have not found any glasses for high power that lets you align. The usually just make it go away. How about a lesser pair where you still see the beam but adding nd filters like sunglasses under the safety glasses? Guess you can't see the mounts to adjust then.