Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping advice. Sending parts from China to Australia.

Default Shipping advice. Sending parts from China to Australia.

Hello guys,
    I have some sample plastic parts I order from a manufacturer in China that are ready to ship.

They want my shipping account number (DHL account or similar) but I don't have one and I don't meet the requirement to get one.
    I just got a quote from DHL Australia to organise shipment and they quoted $400!!!!!! For a 6kg shipment.

The packing details are;

Shenzhen China to Perth Australia

-description of goods being shipped. PLASTIC cover
    -Weight of shipment: 6kgs
    -Dimensions of shipment: box 1: 65*25*45cm box 2: 45*45*7cm
    -Value of shipment: usd20

I wouldn't mind it taking a couple of weeks and costing $200.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to ship it more economically and who with?

Cheers
    Kit

I ship from China to the US regularly, and typically pay under $10/kg for air freight. I am fortunate that my Chinese counterparts take care of the shipping, if that is not an option go to alibaba.com and look for freight forwarders.

Lightbulb

Heya m8 -

Quote Originally Posted by kitatit View Post
    ...anyone have any suggestion ...who with?
    I'd recommend checking with 'Pilot' - http://www.pilotdelivers.com/pages/i...CountryCode=CN ..don't have experience with them, shipping from CN > AU, but.. Have-always gotten great-service from them, here in the US, and in-getting some heavy / extensive-freight quotes from, ie: USA > Scotland (!) I was blown-away by how inexpensive they were (..and with full-boat insurance, too!) At-least worth an email, I'd say..

fwiw..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Hi Stiffmeister and J

Thanks for the clues I didn't think of looking for that sort of service on Alibaba.
    Had a look at a couple and they offer some very handy services like collecting shipments from different suppliers and then shipping them together, cool!

Update...The supplier just got back to me and now they will use one of their freight forwarders. Said it should cost under $200.

Thanks for the quick help guys.

Cheers
    Kit

Hey Kit

Just be aware with the freight forwarders that you need to organise the custom clearance and pay the import duties if any, I found most custom brokers didn't want to know you as a non business entity (individual) and of course the brokers that will deal with you have a bit of a premium.

So that will be $200 + Duty + Broker fees before you can collect from the freight forwarder (your broker may also arrange delivery for an additional cost)

Having dealt with this I can understand DHL/Fedex/etc fees to a point, it can be so much easier not having to deal with this and have it delivered to your door

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Go the Fedex route if you can, particularly if its under 120kg.
    By far the cheapest way to receive goods from China. From Winni at Goldenstar I pay 5USD/kg plus a small handling fee this end (~15USD) and any duties.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Go the Fedex route if you can, particularly if its under 120kg.
    By far the cheapest way to receive goods from China. From Winni at Goldenstar I pay 5USD/kg plus a small handling fee this end (~15USD) and any duties.
    I second this. Avoid DHL if your goods include magnets, such as speaker drivers. You need a special deceleration and spec sheet. Learnt that the hard way...
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I second this. Avoid DHL if your goods include magnets, such as speaker drivers. You need a special deceleration and spec sheet. Learnt that the hard way...
    Interesting, I did not know that!!

Quote Originally Posted by kitatit View Post
    Hello guys,
    I have some sample plastic parts I order from a manufacturer in China that are ready to ship.

They want my shipping account number (DHL account or similar) but I don't have one and I don't meet the requirement to get one.
    I just got a quote from DHL Australia to organise shipment and they quoted $400!!!!!! For a 6kg shipment.

The packing details are;

Shenzhen China to Perth Australia

-description of goods being shipped. PLASTIC cover
    -Weight of shipment: 6kgs
    -Dimensions of shipment: box 1: 65*25*45cm box 2: 45*45*7cm
    -Value of shipment: usd20

I wouldn't mind it taking a couple of weeks and costing $200.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to ship it more economically and who with?

Cheers
    Kit
    High shipping quotes are very common if you order from say: alibaba.com
    They wont offer you shipping alternatives very often.
    With ebay for instance sometimes they do this to offer the product at a lower price just to lure you and then they add extra money to the shipping of which they pocket.