Thread: Bucket lists

Default Bucket lists

I'm not a big bucket list person, but I recently picked up The Mythical Man-Month which I've wanted to read for decades. I'm about 1/3 through it so far and just wanted to say it's Wonderful!
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    I recently picked up The Mythical Man-Month which I've wanted to read for decades. I'm about 1/3 through it so far and just wanted to say it's Wonderful!
    Gives me the feeling of when I read The Gang of Four.

Old programmers! I did production control at one point and I enjoyed the crossovers. And the occasional phrase like "...smarting, but smarter."
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I read M-M-M very early in my career as a developer and eventual consultant/database architect. It strongly shaped how I built things and managed people (or more appropriately, managing the managers).

Lately, I started this book, but really need to pick it up again: ProgrammingEnough Rope to Shoot Yourself in the Foot: Rules for C and C++

I recently finished this book:
    Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions
    It's a 10 out of 10! I'd say half of the book it is "common knowledge" to computer science folks, but the other half (built on top of the first) is phenomenally interesting! It's a book most people can get into, but it's especially powerful if you've been living, breathing, and developing computing algorithms all your life.

Lastly, this is a great book about how business opportunities are found and lost in the most unusual or unexpected ways: Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World/