Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2017 Sign up thread

Quote Originally Posted by singlemode View Post
    Re: 3 phase ion stuff - is space in the ion tinkering room typically a free for all? I recently acquired a 6W Innova 90 argon with only 840 hours on it (from craigslist of all places!) that appears to be gas intact and in pretty good shape, and I'd love to test it out assuming I can find some cables for it in time.

I also picked up a Fluke scopemeter at a NASA auction a few weeks ago that I will bring and have available for anyone who might need it for repairs/troubleshooting.

...yes and no, but we'll get you sorted!
    I'll be sure to bring a few spare innova ignitors should you need one.

Quote Originally Posted by telmnstr View Post
    Tables in the caferteria. Last year there was some contention over table space in the caferteria, does venue have those?
    I have asked the auditorium if they have extra tables we can use. There is a possibility they can borrow some from the school. However, it is also very helpful if people bring tables themselves. (The small plastic folding ones like you can find at Walmart...) That way the really big stuff can go on the tables from the venue, and smaller stuff can go on the folding tables.

Also, just a reminder to everyone: before you move someone else's stuff, be polite and ask them first.

Chat system coming back? That was useful. What was it called again?
    I think it was called "Group Me".?. Rick (Hitekvoop) was heading that up last year. If he's willing to get it going again this year, I'm all for it. I agree that it worked really well for us last time.

If there is a web based signage thing that might be useful, where a few computers can show it on LCD pulling via web (caferteria/main bldg/gym) and hopefully pick up any changes in schedule that are made on the hosted server?
    I like this idea... Would you be willing to work with David Kumpula to work out the details? Shouldn't be too hard, provided you have a server you can host the page(s) on, that is. We do have WiFi in the auditorium.

Another thread for hardware offered for event / buy-sell-swap wanted?
    Another good idea! If you've got something you plan to sell, go ahead and start the thread. I think Spec won't mind if we put it here in the meet and greet sub-forum so we can keep all things SELEM in one place...

Quote Originally Posted by telmnstr View Post
    Would anyone be interested in a presentation about free Linux software that allows you to route lighting protocols? A free way to go from ArtNet (DMX-512 over ethernet) or 1.31N Streaming ACN over to physical DMX-512, Color Kinetics KiNet and other protocols?
    At the very least, this needs to be included in the Lasers and Lattes portion. But yeah, I'm sure there are a few folks who play in the DMX world and would be interested in this. If you already have one of the endpoints, I know I'd love to see it! (A Pi has got to be cheaper than an Entec USB!)

Re: 3 phase ion stuff - is space in the ion tinkering room typically a free for all?
    As countfunkula alluded to, it's not quite accurate to say that it's a "free for all". We do require that people be safe and follow the directions of the senior laserist in the room.

But with that understanding, yes, anyone is free to bring whatever ion gear they have into the room and test it out. Space inside the room is somewhat limited, so some of the gear may need to be staged outside in the hallway until it can be moved into the room for testing. But throughout the event we will be moving lasers in and out of the room as testing continues.

If you bring an ion laser but don't know how to hook it up or test it safely, someone will be happy to walk you through the process and show you what's going on. (Or even do it for you if you are inexperienced and prefer not to handle 3 phase power.) We have several experienced laserists who frequent the ion laser work room, so at any given time there is usually someone in there who can give you a hand. (If not, just ask.)

Also, even if you didn't bring an ion laser to SELEM, if you are curious and want to learn more about ion lasers, you are welcome to hang out in the room and ask questions. Just be alert and always listen to what the senior laserist is saying. (He'll keep you safe.)

Note that the ion laser work room does have some special risks associated with it. Exposed 3-phase electrical power is a given. But you also need to worry about water leaking from the cooling hose connections, not to mention the high voltage from the igniter circuit. Oh, and if a given laser does fire up, now you've got a static beam to contend with (that could potentially be making several watts). So, yeah, the term "free for all" has connotations of carelessness, and the ion laser work room is one place where you really *don't* want to be careless.

But it's very common for someone to bring an ion laser to SELEM that is in unknown condition. We'll get it checked out and do our best to get it lasing. (Or at least let you know why we think it won't lase...)

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Didn't we discuss checking with a local party rental place and see how much some tables would be? I know around here, 6' an 8' tables go for around $6.50-$6.75 each. Probably can save on a delivery fee ($50) if we transport. (I think I'm voluntolding myself!)
    PM Sent...

Sweet, I figured the optical and electrical safety were no brainers and was more concerned about whether or not I needed to reserve floor space for large beasts. High voltage, massive capacitors, and liquids were pretty commonplace in our college hackerspace (and I definitely never hoarded large mercury rectifiers down there either...) and the argon goggles are already packed Excited to see if this thing works!

Re: cafeteria table space - I have a couple small folding tables that I should have room for as well, I'll toss them in!
    Last edited by singlemode; 07-06-2017 at 08:09.

I definitely never hoarded large mercury rectifiers
    Dude... Do you still have one? I've never seen one in real life, but I have watched several videos and I think they are beautiful! Would be awesome to see one running at SELEM, if that's an option...

I have a couple small folding tables that I should have room for as well, I'll toss them in!
    Very good!

Brad's suggestion to rent tables is also an option if we have some room in the budget. Need to see if there are any rental places local to Newton...

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

There is. I have a call in to one. Looks like maybe $75 for 10, either 6 or 8 foot tables if we pick up. Waiting on a return call. It's about 4-5 blocks from the venue.
    PM Sent...

Damn - that's amazing! Thanks for looking into that Brad!

Let me know what they say. 75 bucks is damned reasonable.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Damn - that's amazing! Thanks for looking into that Brad!

Let me know what they say. 75 bucks is damned reasonable.
    Yeah, great news. Please earmark an additional table for the auditorium balcony projectors. We had the ion plus 3 other projectors last year, so we were short on space.

Many thanks for pursuing this for us, Brad!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Dude... Do you still have one? I've never seen one in real life, but I have watched several videos and I think they are beautiful! Would be awesome to see one running at SELEM, if that's an option...
    I do, quite a few actually! I've been gradually accumulating suitable parts as they turn up for a very long term project - the mother of all single ended triode amps, using a pair of 1kW Eimac 1000Ts I found. Aside from their superior performance to semiconductor rectifiers, I figured the only way to complement the look of a pair of glass basketballs with 116W thoriated tungsten lightbulbs for cathodes was with a set of almost as large 872A rectifiers - the blue nuclear-reactor-in-a-tube glow is definitely a very uniquely beautiful look. I'll see if I can find some sockets and anode connectors before SELEM and could definitely bring a pair if so.

That sound you just heard is buffo having a nerdgasm.

Cleanup, aisle 5.