Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cree XR-E at 240 lumens?

Testing at all stages for colour and power output to 'bin' them according to findings is expensive, and is another way of saying that there isn't as much control at the time of making as they would like. If Cree really manage to get specified outputs with less testing, and without customer complaints, that's a strength, not a weakness.

Thanks for the tip of the vulnerability of the Cree dome lens. Always nice to have advance warning. I think most people who deal with laser diodes and the like are used to having to treat emitters gently though. Also, I have a Cree XR-E based torch that I've dropped from greater than one metre onto concrete with no ill effect, so they're not all that vulnerable.

I've already paid for three XR-E's and I'm using the small 'Rocket' beam shaper made in Finland, specially for those lamps. The 4° beam type. I'm just playing around, getting parts that will at least most likely be highly useful to me even if they don't do exactly what I hope and expect.

I saw that Rebel LED chip on sale, and considered buying. Should I? It looked cool, but I think I outspent my current budget for fun stuffs. Assuming I can stretch further, I want two of those Q5's. I'm not a member of CPF though and don't want to sign up to another forum with another need to remember name/pass just to get two of those. If someone can help me directly, please let me know.

Re Luxeons, I intend to try those too at some point, though I may now wait for these new emitters. I tried Cree first because it was somewhere to start (and I like the name), and the efficiency of the XR-E is definitely better than the Luxeon K2. Can't argue with basic data sheet specs, unless you have good technical proof that they are wrong.

PS. LOL, at 'Excrelamp'. Master of the Dodgy Pun. Anyone who thinks that Americans don't understand puns (many of us Brits think this) is wrong. I know a Texan who can play puns like a top poker player, when he's on form anyway. And when he's not they're even more unsubtle than English end-of-pier humour.

Unfortunately, I have to rush to get ready for work. I'll respond in full late tonight, but just wanted to quickly say I'll be glad to help with the Q5's, Doctor.

See you guys later on. Au reservoir!
    Alas, poor diode. I fried him well.

Quote Originally Posted by PNjunction View Post
    Au reservoir!
    Steady... a pun should float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, but it also has to watch its footwork. Not sure what that one was grounded in.

Thankyou. It will be after the week end now, before I can pay for some, but I'll go for it. How to proceed though? As in, how to keep it as simple as possible?

HID anyone? 12V 35W lots of brightness only requires a ballast...

True but then you only get about 5% efficiency converting electricity to visible light. So from that you will get 1.75 watts max. With a K2 running at 1500mA you can expect to get about 900-1500mW out.

Just a little teaser, some one dared me to melt electrical tape with this 4 die luxeon and it worked! It cut it faster then my Nexus!
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Steady... a pun should float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, but it also has to watch its footwork.
    Hehe... Fortunately, that one was not considered a real 'thrilla in Manilla'.

Just keeping in touch with my inner French is all... not that I have any. But had my partially Germanic heritage been feeling dominant at the time, I might've said 'your feet are stained'.

Now... a bit of bad news. While gathering my thoughts for a PM regarding getting some Q5's to you, I went to look at the GB just now and discovered the guy closed it as of yesterday! This was apparently due to slow response, so he finished it up early and has already placed the order with his supplier. Disappointing, as I was all too happy to help a fellow hobbyist, especially one who has helped me so much here! This still leaves us with two options though. The less expensive Q2's are still available, and are WG tint. The other possibility is that a feeler for an upcoming GB has been put out, to which I responded with my interest the other day. They will be either Q4 or Q5, tint is unknown as of yet, but the price should be excellent... he's attempting to offer them at $10 or less! If they Planck toward the right, would you like some of those?

PM incoming upon getting back home later this afternoon. Sending Cree's across the pond should be a quite simple matter.

Still looking to reply to your previous post as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PNjunction View Post
    If they Planck toward the right, would you like some of those?
    If they do how much??
    Sure, they sound interesting. IF that doesn't work out, a couple of those Q2's with WG spectrum will be interesting to compare with what I'm already getting.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    If they do how much??
    Well, he's trying to get WG or WH, but no word so far as to either that, when, or the price. Keeping an eye out.

In the meantime, the WG Q2's went down again now to $10. Not a bad buy at all. Funny though, nobody's buying them. What, are Q2's already passe'?

Finally about to send that PM, Doc. It's been a long Friday afternoon... lol.

I'll take a few Q2's You have a pm.

What was that Planck reference?

Well, reading all this Greek-2-me I can only ascertain that you all are talking about 1 Amp LEDs that burn thru electrical tape? What are the emitter surface area dimensions if I may ask? (still not really knowing what y'all are talking about, but curious )