Thread: Entry level graphics laser

Default Entry level graphics laser

Hi,
    Do you have some recommendation for a good laser to do graphics projection that is controllable with ILDA?
    My budget is between 800 and 1250 dollars.
    Cheers,
    Colas

You better do some reading here at PL. Your budget will hardly be enough to cover the cost for a pair of galvos.
    That said. If you are able to build yourself, the DTR RGB boundle and a used pair of galvos, some other used good parts, and you might have blown your budget by just 2X and a fairly good and simple projector.

Datsurb
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

I don't know of any pre-built projectors because I build all my own but the following parts will be needed for entry level graphics.

All of these prices are super rough estimates from memory. I will let you look up the true cost.
    PT40 Scanners $300
    DTR single mode red, blue and green. All of them should be around 120mw for decent color balance. $300
    Either bbe drivers or dave (lasershowparts) drivers $120
    Etherdream DAC $200
    LSX Basic $150
    dichros $80
    mirrors $50
    power supplies $100
    mounts $150
    case $100
    Total = $1550

As you can see you are not budgeting enough. Now if you already have some of these things like the DAC and software then maybe you can get down in your budget.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Hi,
    Thank you for the advice but i would prefer to buy a prebuild laser.
    I already have the DAC and i was planning to use touchdesigner to drive the laser.
    What do you think of the mobile beat mirage from x-laser?
    Cheers,
    Colas

The Mobile Beat Mirage is a nice projector that can do graphics, but it's going to cost almost as much as (if not more than) the parts that Jason listed in his post. Admittedly though, the Mobile Beat will be a bit brighter.

Still, even if you buy the Mobile Beat, all you have is a projector. You still need a controller and software.

Adam

that is a low amount of money. I would go for a self build at that point with a single diode module and then shell out on some decent galvos... It won't give a lot of brightness but it will give much better graphics. After that you should still have just enough money for a decent controller and software package.. I don't know how handy/technical you are or where you'd be using it.

Depends what you are planning to do with it, really.

For personal hobby/home party use, there are analog ~25kpps lasers with low, but sufficient for this purpose, power. Such as LaserDock from Wickedlasers, for example. I've also found some amazing deal on one-off project used lasers, such as Tarm Two for just 1400 USD and Kvant Clubmax for 1700 USD, but both are being sold in here, in Czech Republic (EU). Also you may have luck with this forum's Market section =)
    My kit: Mamba Elements V3 & DAC, ILD SOS & LaserCam, LaserDock DAC, Kvant Clubmax 1800 (2017)