Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best uv glue for bonding optics to brass??

Default Best uv glue for bonding optics to brass??

I’ve been searching on the threads for best UV glue options to bond optics to brass, but only found old threads.

So based on your experience, I’d like to know your recommendations about which is ‘the best’ UV brand glue to bond optics to metal, taking into account:

-Minimal out-gas
    -hard bond
    -HIGH stability
    -durable
    -fast UV cure
    etc

I’ve been testing a brand called “SOLIQ” (also called “BONDIC”). It comes with UV led for cure. However, the bond seems too much ‘elastic’, not hard enough.
    Also I can easily remove the optic with just a bit of pressure with my hands, so it seems also a weak bond.

Thanks!!

@ "It comes with UV led for cure" ..... strange you have a fantastic UV source at least half the time just outside your window!

Does the bond break leaving the optic clean or the brass clean?

If the glue stays with the optic it might be worth trying Planter's ally gluing trick, and sand the brass through the glue before mating the optics to the surface,...............brass is often a bitch with glue!

I usually use Ceyscristal & Spanish sunlight (works OK) and more recently fischer ultra glue (also comes with UV led) and claims to "fill" as well but quite frankly I'm not over the moon with either !

Will follow this thread with interest!

Un Saludo !
    Cheers

... I'm using "Delo Photobond" UV-glues with my paste-dispensers - there are different types and datasheets for download here:

https://www.delo-adhesives.com/us/ap...camera-module/

Viktor

Thanks Lari! Yes hehe, sun..why not
    Yes, maybe a bit, brass is clean when bond breaks, however I sand the brass before...
    Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post

@ "It comes with UV led for cure" ..... strange you have a fantastic UV source at least half the time just outside your window!

Does the bond break leaving the optic clean or the brass clean?

If the glue stays with the optic it might be worth trying Planter's ally gluing trick, and sand the brass through the glue before mating the optics to the surface,...............brass is often a bitch with glue!

I usually use Ceyscristal & Spanish sunlight (works OK) and more recently fischer ultra glue (also comes with UV led) and claims to "fill" as well but quite frankly I'm not over the moon with either !

Will follow this thread with interest!

Un Saludo !
    Cheers

thanks Viktor!
    There are many Photobond types...
    https://www.delo-adhesives.com/us/downloads/
    which one you get the best results?
    cheers!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by jors View Post
    Thanks Lari! Yes hehe, sun..why not
    Yes, maybe a bit, brass is clean when bond breaks, however I sand the brass before...
    ~
    Take a look at Norland, I had good luck with one of theirs a few years ago. I'm not sure I'd use a led for cure, not enough ergs per cm^2 unless you have a very big LED. I liked UV Ion laser at 356 nm or a mercury arc lamp for the curing.
    ~
    If you need ultra low outgas, consider Hysol 1C white epoxy or Torrseal... But remember that once that cures, you will ruin the mount before removing the optic.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I have yet to come across an epoxy that will not soften when immersed long enough in methylene chloride. Paint strippers contain this in varing concentrations.

Quote Originally Posted by jors View Post
    thanks Viktor!
    There are many Photobond types...
    https://www.delo-adhesives.com/us/downloads/
    which one you get the best results?
    cheers!
    ... I'm mostly using dyed high viscous glues to demonstrate our paste-dispensers.

You'll get high shore values with AD4196 (blue colour, softer) and GB310 (clear, harder) -- better for bonding glass/metal could be GB345 (clear and pretty hard too) ...

Viktor

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I have yet to come across an epoxy that will not soften when immersed long enough in methylene chloride. Paint strippers contain this in varing concentrations.
    1C White is what I use for chemical resistance, and heat resistance, as well. Its ceramic loaded, with MgO and Al2O3 dust, it gets harder when I bake it or use it at high temperatures.
    One of my former students tried stripping it off a large quartz vacuum window with MC, MEK and DMF, no joy... He finally resulted to a sharp chisel and hours of work.
    I'm not sure what will strip it yet, have gave up trying... At best I've gotten the surface to become tacky, but never have gotten it to strip.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Many thanks guys!!!