Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bizarre simpledrive II driver problem

Quote Originally Posted by Bbe View Post
    Pots don't need to be swapped

Digikey has one that you can use for replacing
    https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...FECT-ND/678963
    OK, that's great! Someone much more knowledgeable than I told me that wire wound resistors may generate a spike when the magnetic field they create collapses when powering down. As such, wouldn't a metal or carbon film resistor be a better fit? Maybe this one?

Also, can you identify which resistor needs swapping? I have a picture of the v2.5A r1 on the left and an r4 on the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5695.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	54106

Many thanks!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Yes, and these "spikes" has a negative polarity, which is much more dangerous for a laser diode. But.. low-impedance metal resistors have negligibly small parasitic inductance, which can be neglected. And in any case, these "spikes" (if they have a dangerous amplitude) will be absorbed by the onboard Schottky diode. A much greater threat is represented by wires, between the driver and the laser diode. Their parasitic inductance can be enough to generate a fatal negative spikes. For this reason, the absorbing diodes (Schottky + TVS) should be connected in close proximity to the laser diode (regular rectifying diodes are ineffective for this).
    Someone much more knowledgeable than I told me that wire wound resistors may generate a spike when the magnetic field they create collapses when powering down
    They are on the front side - you don't confuse them with anything.
    Also, can you identify which resistor needs swapping?
    Too high temperature coefficient I think. I use 50ppm in v500, but I could not find the one suitable on digikey. Anyway they will work too - they have no choice.
    Maybe this one?

What would be the longest recommended wire run to the laser? the max I have ever used was 6.5 inches with the Lasorb at the diode it's self, the UV leds that I use, I use the same rules to keep the wires as short as possible from the driver to the LED, I started that test run about 3 years ago on a thread on this forum, I should find it and update it as the leds are still running strong with over 1k hours on them, the cheap Chinese ones with plastic encapsulation died long ago but the Nichia and LED Engine ones with a ceramic body and glass are still going strong, there price though is still 30 bucks a pop though worth the money, got to use them twice now on 2 shows we did
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

i am going out on a limb here but the resistor that needs to be swapped is the main current sense resistor, the big white ceramic resistor on the top side of the driver
    , it's hard to not notice as it's the largest resistor on the driver
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Parasitic inductance is very individual for different conditions. Much depends on how the wires twisted or how they are laid inside the case. No simple answer to your question
    What would be the longest recommended wire run to the laser?
    I think they died their own death, no good wires or drivers would not have saved them
    Chinese ones with plastic encapsulation died long ago

Too high temperature coefficient I think. I use 50ppm in v500, but I could not find the one suitable on digikey. Anyway they will work too - they have no choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    i am going out on a limb here but the resistor that needs to be swapped is the main current sense resistor, the big white ceramic resistor on the top side of the driver, it's hard to not notice as it's the largest resistor on the driver
    Got it! Thank you both!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Just wanted to check but I have always had the idea that twisting the wires to the laser diode is something you should never do as it adds inductance, not a lot but it would add some.

Parasitic inductance is very individual for different conditions. Much depends on how the wires twisted or how they are laid inside the case. No simple answer to your question

I think they died their own death, no good wires or drivers would not have saved them

The main idea in twisting (without fanaticism) is to get a symmetrical wireline like a radio frequency feeder. Twisting is not a prerequisite if you can achieve a symmetrical arrangement of wires relative to each other and surrounding objects. There are also other factors affecting the inductance, but the first thing you can do is slightly twist the wires relatively to each other. For example, 2 meters of stranded AWG22 (freely located on the dielectric surface) have an inductance of about 3.5 uH, if we measure a twisted pair of same wire, we get of about 1 uH. As a bonus, we will get a more protected line from external electromagnetic interference.

are we talking about the power supply wires or the wires that feed the laser diode being a twisted pair?
    I may want to add a delay to the modulation line, as the driver and the source for the modulation voltage come on at the same time when turned on,

also wondering if a small filter cap at the driver's input may help with transients if the laser momentarily lost power from an intermittent connector, my 505 died today but it had a lot of time on it and did not have the protection of a LASORB, when these drivers get into there final rig I think I am going to solder the laser to the driver and not reuse the older connector, the 505 had been reused many times in different things, when I was sampling the turn on spikes with the scope I was using that 505 laser for that
    Last edited by Draco; 06-05-2018 at 19:31. Reason: bad spelling

Ok now I am getting upset, DTR is not responding my messages, I am finding this really frustrating, getting nothing back from anything I ask, was said I could get a replacement diode but nothing has showed up and I am not getting any feedback, pro or con
    Last edited by Draco; 06-10-2018 at 03:42.