Thread: Stepper motor fun and investigatins

Default Stepper motor fun and investigatins

Hi all. I hope i can tap in to the collecting hive mind that is "Photonlexicon technicus"

I have been toying around with jumping into the lumina side of things and jumped on the opportunity to start off by snaffling a x 20 diffraction grating wheel from Daniel in the UK.

The unit has arrived and i now have to secure a method to control the little beastie via DMX/Artnet

The Controller has the following markings

RB Step Motor
    14HA1001-18
    LOT # ......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0082.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	492.1 KB 
ID:	52620

i haven't been able to place the part or manufacturer to secure a schematic or pin put so far

a bit of googling reveals that 1001-18 is likely to be be 100 steps - 1 revolution, 18 degrees step 20 x 18 = 360.

which leaves 14HA as un resolved info (14 V High torque?)

The connector on the stepper motor has 6 wires one of which is cut (the 2nd line with little spaced dots), the end that would attach to a controller has 5 lines i can provide the pin outs of required

Name:	IMG_0084.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	456.9 KB 
ID:	52621

there is an additional sensor i assume it is a reed switch or optical sensor of some kind, i understand its function as a ZERO for the stepper, but not how to implement its use with a controller.

Name:	IMG_0085.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	459.1 KB 
ID:	52623

Name:	IMG_0086.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	508.8 KB 
ID:	52624

Any help on what each of these might be would be helpful. Any advice on DMX controllers is appreciated I would probably pay more up from for multi channel device that can later control other actuators and motors etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1058.JPG  

14 is the motor frame size, NEMA 14; 18 is 1.8 degrees/step, so 200 steps /rev (pretty standard). Without the manufacturer's data, you're going to struggle somewhat; a good start is to measure the resistance between all the wires, you will probably find 2 windings each with 3 wires, one of which is the centre connection; as you have 5 wires, you may find the common is shared betwen windings. Once you know the resistance of the windings, you can make a reasonable stab at the ratings by looking at a variety of NEMA 14 motors and comparing the winding resistances.

"the lumina side of things"
    No. Lumia.
    Lumina is a Chevy.
    Lumia is from lasers.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Excellent - thanks for the info, i will take some readings and see how to proceed from there as far ass ID'ing a suitable driver

Quote Originally Posted by clickamouse View Post
    "the lumina side of things"
    No. Lumia.
    Lumina is a Chevy.
    Lumia is from lasers.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

...Mike
    I stand corrected, thanks for the info.