Thread: LED strip light question

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default LED strip light question

I know a little bit but, not a lot about LED strip lighting and we're getting ready to install it in my ballroom similar to what we did at one of our other halls. (Our chef/owner did the other hall himself for about $500) I'm going to be installing roughly 780 feet or so in six independent trays in the ceiling hidden by molding we're getting installed. (See pics below) I'm looking for recommendations on sources to purchase it as well as best method of control. I would like to have independent control of each of the 6 ceiling trays in case we need to do different colors in different trays at the same time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21149955_1624374484279794_6514744377331610423_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	52789 Lazaretto Ballroom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1502.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	52790 Executive

We just installed crown molding around the perimeter and now are getting ready to do the inlays, trays, whatever you call them. Any words of wisdom is welcome.
    PM Sent...

Just giving this a bump, as the contractor is out there putting up the molding as I type this.
    PM Sent...

I've done a bunch of reading, measuring, calculating and learning about PWM repeaters, amplifiers, dimmers, and a whole lot of other stuff but, before I make the recommendation to drop $2500-$3000 of the owners money on this, I want to make sure I'm not missing anything and getting something bright, reliable, long lasting, RGB, with easy to understand color control for staff to set if I'm not around. I'm reading these should really be attached to heatsinks which is going to add a fortune in aluminum to the project if we have to run 660 feet of heatsink around too.
    PM Sent...

I have put in lots of strips. I have never used a heat sink. I would suggest holidaycoro.com. You may find cheaper strips out there, but i have never had a problem with their quality. I have been burned by ebay sellers that sell seconds and reject shit that fail after 2 months.

Power distribution can be a pain on longer runs. It depends alot on the led density of the strips. Everywhere you need a repeater you should have a 120 receptacle close to plug in your wallwart.

For control you could use a dmx rgb controller. They cost less than $20. If you have access you can run cat5 "daisy chained" to each soffit area for dmx. Use a simple dmx controller to set colors.