Thread: Sharp 700mW 638 Diode Quick Test

Default Sharp 700mW 638 Diode Quick Test

I finally got around to a quick and dirty test of the new sharp MM 700mw diode.

I tested it against a P73 diode. At first I got really excited because the spot was just a bit over half the size of the P73! However, the aperture size is much larger.

I measured the height and width aprox 1 inch from the lens. The measurements is where the beam lost 10% of its power in that dimension. The P73 = .14 X .04 the Sharp = .16 X .055.

Even though the far field is half the size, the nearfield is about 2X the area Also, the power is slightly less per drive current on the Sharp. It looks like from a beam parameter point of view they would be roughly equal after correction. The Sharp needing less magnification to get there. The Sharp does look to have a bit less "splash" possibly making a better corrected beam.

Power output with aixiz "g2"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chart.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	52872
    Next I would like to do a side by side test after correction to see how the aperture dimensions match up. Could be a while before i get to that.

Hmmmm ???? Just swing bigger scanner mirrors ??? Thanx LS....Who has this diode ?? Cost ???
    Of course...we still wait on the 5W 640nm with a divergence of 1.0...oh...and cheap too....I would gladly settle for 2W !Sigh !! Perhaps I will tinker with this Sharp LD....Yikes...Like I already have so many projects stacked up !!! Thnx again...you lead the way !!!
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

DTR has them, about the same price as the oclaro's
    I got them on my order list too, see if I can stack those to an reasonable beam.
    Albert

Thanx LG !! At $ 26 a pop....can afford to goose'em a little more....maybe 1.2A....Not sure where the knee is ??....But then....from a reliability stand point....maybe not...depends on how lucky ya feel....and the ramifications if the Red's take a dump mid show....which then depends on the nature of the venue. End use drives the degree of risk.
    Looks like the G2 output was about 720mW @ 1.0A....
    I like the thought of less splash !! Corrective optics seem to add more splash/trash I have not yet tried Spatial Filtering....as is employed by Atten Lasers. That looks very slick !!...But then...who does a DIY projector these days ?? VERY few !!
    LG...Let us know your success at stacking !!
    Thanx,
    CDBEAM
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Many thanks for sharing Chris
    It seems no red MM diode can actually beat P73. Despite its wings, divergence is still the best. Oclaro is 'clean', but slightly worse in divergence. BTW I tested G85 dual beam...not for galvo projection, but interesting in other
    projects like outdoor laser canon etc.
    Your test vs P73 makes sense, about half size on FF, but about double size spot on NF...so specs seems about the same. However Sharp seems to be 'more corrected' just 'out of the box'. This way maybe we need less expansion
    to get similar results than with P73. However, due bigger NF size on both axis, this should be a 'problem' to stack/knife on the fast axis (uncorrected one)...so getting bigger NF array size than multiplexing with P73.
    Jordi Luque

AtenLaser.com
    Barcelona

"Let there be light"

Hey Chris!
    Did a power test with this one. It seems a very hard knee around 716mW. Power is about 700mW 1A...but even 1,2A it remains 716mW (ambient cooled).
    So it can't be drived as hard as P73. Also I agree beam profile at aperture is larger....about 3mm tall vs 1,8mm tall on P73 (both F2mm colli). Have sense, because fast axis is better in divergence. So it seems more like a p73 with a F3mm colli.

Did you also performed a power test to contrast my data?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jors View Post
    Hey Chris!
    Did a power test with this one. It seems a very hard knee around 716mW. Power is about 700mW 1A...but even 1,2A it remains 716mW (ambient cooled).
    So it can't be drived as hard as P73. Also I agree beam profile at aperture is larger....about 3mm tall vs 1,8mm tall on P73 (both F2mm colli). Have sense, because fast axis is better in divergence. So it seems more like a p73 with a F3mm colli.

Did you also performed a power test to contrast my data?

cheers
    I only went up to 1A. It was already changing slope, where the P73 was still very linear.

Where did you get yours? I had a project where I wanted to use a few but DTR doesn't have them listed anymore.

I purchased from Phillip (Phritzler here on PL). Live Laser Systems, Austria