Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upgrading from 12k to 20k, worth it?

Default upgrading from 12k to 20k, worth it?

I've got a cheapo Chinese laser that I picked up very cheaply, I've identified the galvos as LP12's, which are a little on the slow side. Would I see a big difference upgrading to 20k galvos? like this set- AMAZON Money is tight so I can't afford a nice set of 30k galvos.

The other issue is the red laser (650nm) is pretty rubbish, it claims to be 400mw but I don't think it is anywhere near, it also looks out of focus for graphics and is not a round dot. Maybe I'm too used to my Argon-Ion laser and He-Ne which have beautiful tight beams. I've looked and there appears to be a lens glued into place for it, I'm not sure if these can normally be focused?

Yea, you'd see a difference. 12K scanners barely cut it except for beams and the simplest graphics.

I'd buy a cheap pair of 30K scanners before I'd buy a 20K set, though. I have an old 30K scanner I built with cheap scanners and it is noticeably better than a couple new 20K off the shelf scanners I have.

650nm diodes are typically known as "flashlights". Fat beams and higher in spectrum from a 632nm HeNe. Because of the longer wavelength, it will not appear as bright as a laser of equal power with a shorter wavelength (635nm~640nm). Even though it probably is 400mW, it's not going to look like it. As red lasers go, I think 650nm is an ugly color.
    It's soft and doesn't have that punchy brilliance that other reds do. As far as the beam specs go, there is very little you can do with it. High power 650s have fat beams. You can try and adjust the collimation but I doubt it will do much good.

I concur with what JohnYayas said. I know you're tight on cash but just save a little longer and go for the 30s, you won't regret it. Along side the normal laser caveat of "Lasers ain't a cheap hobby" there is the other caveat; if you buy cheap, you will buy twice. I know it sounds counter-intuitive but it's cheaper in the long run to just pay a little more and get the better performer. Just my $0.02
    Last edited by absolom7691; 10-20-2017 at 07:24. Reason: I CAN'T SPELL!!!!

Thank you, looks like I need to save up some cash.

Yes save up for 30K scanners for sure. Basically any of the 30K scanners on the market these days are better than what you have or the set you posted. Most standard frames these days are programmed for 30K and you'll need it to look good
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Go for the 506 compact scanners. Inexpensive and perform like much higher speed than they are spec'd

.......but what amps to use with the 506 to keep them 'inexpensive'?

Guess it depends on the definition of expensive, the most common commercial amps are Kvant, XLaser, Laser Fantasy and Mach DSP, complete tuned systems run $700-1100 depending on mirrors and such for any of the above... we no longer offer the 'modifying and tuning' other drivers service.

Just the scanners are available for $350 with any (dielectric) mirror set, 3mm 4mm 5mm 6mm 8mm or 10mm
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

$350 (€296) for the scanner is fine. It starts to get expensive when you bring the amp into the equation. The cheapest I've seen the 506 + Kvant amp for in Europe is €679. So does this mean the amp board costs €383? I know there's tuning involved but.......I guess I'm talking form a hobby point of view here when I mention 'expensive'. Pity we have to pay so much for the amp especially as it is such a good scanner.

I wish I had an easy answer... the only driver Pangolin officially manufactures/supports is the Mach DSP, so I can't comment on other suppliers drivers. MY COST on the drivers is around $250/pc, but it really is a complicated driver. Then there is the 'nickel and diming' of the other components... Check out the PO I attached for cables. Note that these prices are PER CABLE - not for a pair of cables. So in reality to deliver a set of scanners, I very well might have $310 in driver and cables before I even add in the cost of the scanners, time and labor, and other accessories included (Flash drive, USB tuning cable, etc).

Of course these are good Made-In-USA cables, but they're the only manufacturer I've used. Top quality product, at a top notch price...

Mirrors are also expensive.. see the PO for that too. Note that is $65 PER MIRROR - $130 for a set! Of course this is a special gold coated mirror for industrial applications, but still not cheap!

Unfortuanely nothing about this business is cheap, and as it is rather 'specialized' it is hard to get the huge volumes to really drive prices down sometimes.

I really wonder how the Chinese do it sometimes... I have some answers but a lot of questions also

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabkes.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	339.5 KB 
ID:	53071

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mir.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	434.9 KB 
ID:	53073
    Last edited by rns0504; 10-25-2017 at 10:29. Reason: Remove proprietary informaion...
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com