Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow lumia

Default Yellow lumia

Well I went to visit swamidog and he got me interested in lumia. Go figure!

I started trying to make a rig and noticed I can't get yellow despite even making a combined rg yellow. Diffraction breaks the beam. Has anyone been able to make a dedicated yellow beam without a yellow source. Thinking you can't and looking at dpss now.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

opsl, dpss, or ArKr.

also, thanks for coming over!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    opsl, dpss, or ArKr.

also, thanks for coming over!

Was fun.

im playing with thermal lumia. Using a laser a bit to high in power on cheap grating. Interesting one time effect😱

Bummer i I was trying to find a way to do it without breaking the bank. I still want to see if I can collomate a regular light well enough to blend in the lumia to get the yellow and other such non laser colors. Got it kind of working using an old super 8 projector I'm thinking just maybe a very bright white led might do it since it's made from blue and yellow light. Reverse beam expander. Once it hits the lumia it won't matter how it scatters. So focus on the lumia. Whatever thought experiment for now

Ps happy Halloween

Put the red diode in liquid nitrogen.

So going to try and make a mini elipsoidal light for my yellow. Anyone know where to buy small elipsoidal mirrors? I'm thinking maybe I can harvest out of a halogen lamp. Might have to mill my own. If I can focus pseudo collimating and focus this might work. Won't be real sharp but should blend in with the lasers.

Also going to try deformable materials as the lumia. First at bat is to setup a standing wave in a plate of metal with Mylar attached over a piezo driver. I want to try and make reproduceable programmable selectable lumia targets so I can actually be in charge of the result rather that a bystander. Other ideas too but I'd rather save them for once I get them working. One involves electrically controlled fluids that change refractive index like a pcaom.

Ok sure this IS like using an atomic bomb to dig a fire pit but that's the fun.

I'm have a vague recollection of getting the lamp out of a halogen reflector a couple of decades ago. I just taped against the plaster? compound with a punch.

The easiest way to stop being a bystander with lumia is to use what Laserium folk called a beam torquer. Since Laserium was using an Ion they started by passing the beam through a prism to disperse the various Spectral lines, then reflected the beams off a galvo mirror, and then through another prism to make the dispersed beams parallel again:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beam toquer black.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	53125
    use a potentiometer to offset the galvo (and thus the mirror) and you can use the pot to shift the ribbon of light across the lumia effect.

If you start with beams already adjacent, this works:

Name:	bt example.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	53126

Given that diode lasers are all over the map in terms of diameter you might want to stick a lens (or lenses) on a linear stage to control the diameter of the beam(s) transiting the lumia effect:

Name:	bt focus detail.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	53127

A couple of other tricks from the 1st Laserium show. The early Laserium projectors used a selsyn transmitter/reciever to allow the laserist to have 1:1 control of the rotation of one of three diffraction gratings for the diffraction effect used in "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun". Also as part of the same effect the laser passed through one segment of a large seven segment LCD element. By controling the voltage across that segment the beam could be "fuzzed" by the laserist.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Thanks much for the info. I will explore it all this weekend. I have monochromaters at my disposal I could use to separate lines. I could use servos to control the position of the grating. I have access to liquid crystals and control for those as well. While I could just do the point light in thing and go wow. I want everything I do to be repeatable and standardized. I want to elevate lumia to the next level as a predicable entity. I also have access to the ability to etch my own semiconductors so I can make purpose made gratings. for example I can etch one that by linear motion either changes the angle of the grating or the number of lines in the grating to vary the refractive properties. I think the wavelength selection to be the easiest part of this especially using laser diodes. Adding in other less coherent sources for additional spectrum looks unexplored in modern times with modern control.

For the moment I call my self out as BS. Go forth and build something...... At least I'm honest about this project. This is going to be a long road to what I want or a short road to some pretty lumia and a case of beer. (I don't actually drink). There is a lot possible. Being able to make it repeatable so it can be added in shows for everyone is another thing.

Good luck - I understand the attraction of a optical device that would produce any lumia imaginable, and in a sense we went that way with lasers when computers got fast enough that the addition of a couple of DACs meant we could do pretty much anything that a scan pair was capable of doing - but for me at least - at the end of the day - I don't want to play a qwerty keyboard.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Exciting stuff, Kecked. The prettiest lumia with great yellows that I have seen was a demo that DSLJon did at SELEM a few years back. Like Laserist described, his R, G and B were slightly misaligned and he had a lens I believe as Laserist also described. The lumia effect was one of those water soluble silica cubes that was all hydrated. It was damn pretty with some astounding yellows and golds! There are pics of it somewhere in PL.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"