Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any tech-savvy VR community?

Default any tech-savvy VR community?

I've tried to find home at mtbs3D, VRTalk, VRHeads and the Oculus forums but I feel like most of the community in these forums are more of consumers or gamers rather than tech-savvy people interested and knowledgeable in the VR field and technology that goes into the current big 4 VR devices (GearVR, Oculus, RIft and PSVR). I tried to start a discussion about the lenses and screen space used in the current Oculus CV1 vs the DK1 and also a discussion about the tracking systems but got no replies in these communities. Internet has a community for everything so surely there must be some place I can chat about the technology that goes into these products with other like minded people. Maybe some of you are also into VR and can suggest a place for this?

I'm a gamer and a VR tech-savvy.... Majority of VR's are also gamers and consumers. ; )

Why are you looking for VR tech people?

What do you mean?
    I just want a community of like minded people who share their hobbies or ideas, help and learn from each other. Isn't that the point of forums?
    That's pretty much how the Oculus Rift project started, the MTBS3D forum.

I just recently got an Oculus. I love it. I am looking at Unity to try and get a platformer going, similar to Lucky's Tail but with more diversity. If successful, I would like to spin it into an MMO with the same kind of feel as the original Maple Story. Of course, who has the time???

I'm waiting for a Wearality Sky 150 horizontal degree VR goggles to be shipped so I can test it on a Galaxy S8 and compare the quality of that VS GearVR and PSVR. I've read there are both pros and cons to that huge fresnel prisms they used, but again there is very little discussion anywhere.

PSVR has less resolution than my S8 but funny enough the screendoor effect is less noticeable, probably because of how the LEDs are arranged on the 1080p screen which is used. I guess "pixel density" and resolution has become synonymous to "megapixels" and is pure marketing and not much to do with quality.

Just two things out of many I'd like to discuss with other developers and users.

I can also say from personal experience no matter if you get a GearVR, PSVR, Oculus or Vive there are 3rd party tools which work very well to make them all run on a PC/SteamVR and even on games with no native VR support. I just tried GTA5 in GearVR and it was pretty interesting.

Haven't had time to test the top VR games yet, but I've heard only positive things about Lucky's Tail. Ironic how one of the most popular games right now isn't even first person.

Unity and Unreal are the go-to engines for VR and are easy to set up. But yeah, one-man MMO usually fails.

Until they get each pixel with full rgb capabilities rather than each color being a portion of the pixel, there is always going to be that ever-so-slight color shift. One edge being red and the other being blue. I suppose they could get really exotic, feeding the 3 colors into a fiber or a "lightpipe" like matrix that will put all three colors into the same pixel space. That would be a hell of a feat though. Millions of fibers per display!

Unity looks easy to use. Lumberyard looks pretty sexy although I don't know if there are any SDKs for Oculus yet. I haven't looked into Epic's Unreal engine although I have played Robo Recall and the Unreal engine describes itself pretty well. It is UNREAL!!! Silky smooth motion with great physics and texture capabilities!

The whole MMO idea would most likely fail. It would be a small minority interest and that doesn't bode well on a platform that is still in its infancy with not a lot of users as of yet. It would mainly be a personal passion project.
    Last edited by absolom7691; 11-09-2017 at 14:07.

I spent a dozen years working with Digilens making hologram optical elements for near-eye and head-up displays, ending five years ago. The results of that work are now apparently being offered for BMW motorcycle helmets. Since then, I've been working with experimental projection engines and hologram displays on LCoS chips.

Haven't had chance to experiment with AR stuff myself yet.
    I'm curious, how do the AR glasses make focusing on whats projected or displayed on the glass a well as the background possible?
    With cameras and camera view superimposed on a VR headset screen or projections directly on the retina I get it, image on a transparent screen I don't.

The image isn't projected onto a screen. Think of the piece of glass in front of the eye as a lens, let's say the projection lens of a projector. Imagine the aperture of the lens is huge. If the lens was designed properly, you'd be seeing the display inside the projector, possibly magnified. Now make a hologram of that whopping huge and expensive large aperture, short focus lens and put that in front of your eye. Make it a reflection type of hologram, with a reference beam that is way off to the side. Now the display can be on the same side of the holographic lens as the viewer, and the display can be on the side of their head (or above, like HoloLens).