Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Goldenstar or Lightspace?

I don't see a point in getting Saturn 1B / Saturn 2B / Saturn 5B scanners without something that can scan faster than 40K

Saturn 9B / Saturn 10B would be OK because they arent designed for much past 30K...

I know some Etherdream (?)/LSX had problems past 60K but I *think* that has been resolved, there are more knowledgeable people than me on here who can speak to that. Beyond with FB3 / FB4 will allow up to 120K

To me it seems the same as buying a Lambo and having a speed limiter installed at 70mph

Of course I might be slightly biased in my opinions

*THESE OPINIONS ARE MINE AND NOT THOSE OF MY EMPLOYER
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

As someone slightly less biased than Ryan, I agree completely. If you're getting Saturns, no reason to not also get Beyond so you can make the most of them.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    I think Carlos' advice is spot-on. I would only add that you can't run more than 40Kpps using Quickshow. The best graphics software available (IMO) is Beyond. So I think it boils down to:

1) If you want to do top notch graphics, the combination of a projector with Saturn 1s and Beyond is the long-term, no-compromise option.

2) If you want to do less demanding graphics and have two projectors for more beam capability, go with two Lightspace projectors with the intent to get a high-end graphics projector later.

3) If you are Bradfo69, purchase all of the above and put it in the massive pile of accumulated laser equipment.

-David
    Yes. Number 3. Do number 3.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    I don't see a point in getting Saturn 1B / Saturn 2B / Saturn 5B scanners without something that can scan faster than 40K

Saturn 9B / Saturn 10B would be OK because they arent designed for much past 30K...

I know some Etherdream (?)/LSX had problems past 60K but I *think* that has been resolved, there are more knowledgeable people than me on here who can speak to that. Beyond with FB3 / FB4 will allow up to 120K

To me it seems the same as buying a Lambo and having a speed limiter installed at 70mph

Of course I might be slightly biased in my opinions

*THESE OPINIONS ARE MINE AND NOT THOSE OF MY EMPLOYER
    Neat to hear from you!
    Forgot to add that I would also get beyond in the case of getting a set of saturns, I would upgrade to software that can scan faster. I just don't know if I would get much out the features of beyond, unless the version includes beyond 3D, which is out of my price range. Is there some work around that would allow me to scan shows faster with the fb3?

Honestly I'm not sure, and I don't think so at this time. I'm just the Mechanical guy / professional internet troll.

In all seriousness, I have suggested a "special" version of Quickshow (at least to Justin) which would allow 120K scanning, for users of Saturn scanners only. I / We fully understand that these scanners are not cheap, and it is a second punch in the gut to have to get an expensive software license to fully take advantage of them, or use a piece of competitors software.

*EVENTUALLY* the digital Mach DSP driver will talk nicely to projectors with FB4 built in. You will be able to adjust scanner tunings on the fly in Beyond, etc. But this is still in the pipes, and perhaps on the back burner.

As for people with FB4-QS or FB3-QS, I have an idea of a special license file (or perhaps special build of QS) which allows faster speeds for verified purchases of Saturn scanners / projectors with Saturn scanners. I'm just not a software guy, so I don't know if there are provisions in the QS architecture that something like this (Saturn license file tied to Hardware SN) could be added easily or not. We're all just so busy these days that I hadn't even mentioned my thoughts to Bill/Alexey

I'll bring it up next time I have a chance and *hopefully* it is a feasable idea, to allow people to get full use out of some pretty cool, pretty expensive scanners, without having to spend even more money right away.
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    Honestly I'm not sure, and I don't think so at this time. I'm just the Mechanical guy / professional internet troll.

In all seriousness, I have suggested a "special" version of Quickshow (at least to Justin) which would allow 120K scanning, for users of Saturn scanners only. I / We fully understand that these scanners are not cheap, and it is a second punch in the gut to have to get an expensive software license to fully take advantage of them, or use a piece of competitors software.

*EVENTUALLY* the digital Mach DSP driver will talk nicely to projectors with FB4 built in. You will be able to adjust scanner tunings on the fly in Beyond, etc. But this is still in the pipes, and perhaps on the back burner.

As for people with FB4-QS or FB3-QS, I have an idea of a special license file (or perhaps special build of QS) which allows faster speeds for verified purchases of Saturn scanners / projectors with Saturn scanners. I'm just not a software guy, so I don't know if there are provisions in the QS architecture that something like this (Saturn license file tied to Hardware SN) could be added easily or not. We're all just so busy these days that I hadn't even mentioned my thoughts to Bill/Alexey

I'll bring it up next time I have a chance and *hopefully* it is a feasable idea, to allow people to get full use out of some pretty cool, pretty expensive scanners, without having to spend even more money right away.
    Such a license would most certainly be ideal. Guess I probably can't count on that as a solution. Seems like going with Byond essentials Is likely the best route. I do like the easy upgrade path in the hopes of eventually getting to ultimate. there any way I may secure a discount other than the holiday/$100 discounts circulating around right now?

Also,

Now that I'm in the right place, how do I determine the proper scan speed with a set of Saturn's if the test pattern is no longer applicable?

I just talked with Bill - certainly there is a way for us to alter the max speed Quickshow will allow (without a special license), and for verified purchases of Saturn galvos, we will happily share this information, or send you a special "non license file - file" to alter the max scan speed in your software.

This will be handled on a case-by-case basis. I suppose the best way to handle this would be to reach out to contact*at*scannermax.com and once the purchase of Saturn galvos is verified, we will get your quickshow system upgraded accordingly.

As for other discounts - I'm not even sure on that. But I imagine if a projector was being purchased through Pangolin which has Saturn galvos, Justin would be able to sweeten the deal somewhat. Feel free to give us a ring anytime during our typical business hours, he can answer this question better than I.
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Thank you very much for reaching out it Bill. Does it matter that my version of Quickshow was purchased used through X-Laser? Also, could the same mechanic be applied to bring the scan speed all the way to zero for demonstration purposes?

Thanks for everything!

Shouldn't matter, as long as it is a recent build.

Also, as far as I know (from my limited software/programming knowledge), the change made to the software which will be shared with the end user will only affect the upper limit, not the lower. I'm not sure what is involved in slowing the scan speed via the software, but this brings in liability issues, which is a whole different discussion / worthy of its own thread. And certainly not my place to comment on as a mechanical guy / non laser show enthusiast / untrained in advanced laser safety / someone who can barely get quickshow to output without forgetting a few things!
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Yeah, not surprising, but figured it was worth a shot as I have seen people with a version of Quickshow that can do this. I am currently running 3.0, so it should be compatible. Will get into contact once I finally decide what the heck I'm doing.

If you don't mind me asking, I am interested in just what makes the saturns so much faster than ANYTHING else on the market. It seems almost impossible to me based on what is widely available. Sure the inertia may be lower, but is that really enough? If you are at liberty to say, what makes it happen, and are there plans to ever go faster in the future?

Thanks!