Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plastic lens vs glass lens for prototyping and low volume custom lenses

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Yerkat View Post
    I agree and am aware that plastic injection mold and optical grade mold tolerances are quite different but I think comparing lens requirements for a beam with good profile at 1000 feet distance for navy vs a pico projector like the ones used in car HUDs is a bit of a stretch.
    Why, when the picoprojector requires an even better surface curve, scratch dig, and coating quality? The point is there is no such thing as a low cost custom plastic lens in 1 to 100...

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Could you take your little "I want to get someone to explain to me just how to do this cheap, and it's everybody else's fault if my great idea is completely unrealistic" thing somewhere else - please...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Can you take your totally uncalled for and very presumptuous little comment somewhere else?

Around here we dream and offer. I’ll give you 50 ideas. 49 will be crap. It’s like mining. When you find the one good vein of what you want rejoice. I get why you say what you say but just let it go and move on. We don’t work for you. Don’t make use not even want to try. We do this because it makes US feel we are contributing what we know. Shared stories.
    Blessings upon your project and look forward to seeing the final build.

What have a said exactly that has made you not even want to try? Really.

Your mean to my friends. Seriously. Just ignore us if you don’t like the ideas. Said with smile. Email sucks. Never really says emotion even with emoji.

Enjoying your questions and project. No ones an expert on everything. All we can do is share what we have experienced. If it doesn’t fit your need well so sorry.

Who? Let them speak for themselves, we are adults here. If someone here feels insulted pm or just tell me and I'll apologize. Rather than coming here and telling me to take my "little" question somewhere else and expect a nice reaction.
    This is a forum and I'm sure you want it to grow, not make it a closed club for existing members who don't like newcomers not liking their ideas and alienating them.

Quote Originally Posted by aku View Post
    My goal is to find out the most affordable way to get prototype and low volume custom lenses made, with as little sacrifice to quality as possible.
    Have you finished your project?

Few 720p and 1080p HD pico projectors I've tried use plastic lenses. We are working on one and using another as reference, which has plastic lenses. Some 4K CCTV cameras have plastic lenses which require even more precision. As do action camera lenses. That said there are also many action or cctv cams and pico projectors which use glass for their lens.
    Bigger projectors probably use glass as the lens barrel can get quite hot. Glass is more durable. Glass can also be more precise, but projectors are far behind in resolution compared to cameras.
    I think this post where it is mentioned how plastic is used in DSLR lenses gives an honest answer,
    These days, the cast aspherical elements are more likely to be glass, not so much because resin is a bad thing, but because of the consumer acceptance factor.
    https://photo.stackexchange.com/ques...-made-of-glass

PM me if you would want some links to glass or plastic imaging lens manufacturers from China.

Quote Originally Posted by widaxi View Post
    Few 720p and 1080p HD pico projectors I've tried use plastic lenses. We are working on one and using another as reference, which has plastic lenses. Some 4K CCTV cameras have plastic lenses which require even more precision. As do action camera lenses. That said there are also many action or cctv cams and pico projectors which use glass for their lens.
    Bigger projectors probably use glass as the lens barrel can get quite hot. Glass is more durable. Glass can also be more precise, but projectors are far behind in resolution compared to cameras.
    I think this post where it is mentioned how plastic is used in DSLR lenses gives an honest answer,

https://photo.stackexchange.com/ques...-made-of-glass

PM me if you would want some links to glass or plastic imaging lens manufacturers from China.
    I be careful of the plastic you pick as lots of high intensity blue light might destroy the plastic.