Thread: 10W - 20W Green module for large projection - any recommendations?

Default 10W - 20W Green module for large projection - any recommendations?

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations on high-output green modules to project on a mountain for a client. Not really sure what is the best value for money. I am thinking in the region of 10W - 20W. I know the OPSL units are considered the best for the very high end market in terms of divergence. My question is whether their beam specs are 2x better/brighter (as the 10W version are 2x more expensive) than 10W CNI module. Can anyone comment on this?

Also any recommendations of recommended module brands who do well in the high power market would be appreciated. I have mainly been buying a few watts thus far. I have found my 5W 532nm laserwave OEM to disappointing in terms of beam quality, with my older 5W CNI fan cooled unit being far superior. So I do believe that it's all about the manufacturer's attention to detail.

Furthermore, I see that goldenstar does a great price on 10W of unbranded "generic" green, has anyone measured real divergence on these or can comment on beam quality?
    Last edited by Humphry; 12-04-2017 at 23:15.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Viper, Verdi, Some OPSL , Millennia X ,(older ones with low divergence) Sprout-G, maybe something hand selected from CNI, but you only get what you pay for when you scan big images... Note everything I described here is close to largeframe ion beam quality or has low divergence for pumping Ti:Saph lasers. Most of these are in the if you have to ask... Price category...

You might get a better answer at laserfreak.de or on the ILDA facebook thread...

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-07-2017 at 17:00.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by Humphry View Post
    Hi all,

Looking for recommendations on high-output green modules to project on a mountain for a client. Not really sure what is the best value for money. I am thinking in the region of 10W - 20W. I know the OPSL units are considered the best for the very high end market in terms of divergence. My question is whether their beam specs are 2x better/brighter (as the 10W version are 2x more expensive) than 10W CNI module. Can anyone comment on this?

Also any recommendations of recommended module brands who do well in the high power market would be appreciated. I have mainly been buying a few watts thus far. I have found my 5W 532nm laserwave OEM to disappointing in terms of beam quality, with my older 5W CNI fan cooled unit being far superior. So I do believe that it's all about the manufacturer's attention to detail.

Furthermore, I see that goldenstar does a great price on 10W of unbranded "generic" green, has anyone measured real divergence on these or can comment on beam quality?
    Several years ago I began with Viasho DPSS modules, they had a good beam quality but reliability was not.

After that I turned OPSL and I think this is the way to go! I own two 8W OPSL modules with low divergence collimator, that gives me <0.8mrad divergence with a 4mm aperture diameter. Something not possible at all with a diode solution at that power level, and that's 532nm also, brigther than 520nm.

You have to invest more but that turns out to be a long time investment. I own one unit since 5 years, the other one since 3 years, and they are both still making their original power.

Though I'm well aware that at the end of life, it will be easier+cheaper to replace 8 used diodes than to "refill" a OPSL cavity...

Something not possible at all with a diode solution at that power level, and that's 532nm also, brigther than 520nm.
    Most companies can,t do this low divergence but we can actually do just below 0.7mrd. The beam is 22.5mm at 27 meter. One thing you can,t beat is that an OPSL is a one source beam while for example an 8W /520nm module are 8 beams of 1 watt combined into a single beam. So an OPSL can,t go out of allignment while an 520nm module you maybe need to allign them , depending on the stabbility. Arctos and RGBlasersystems have very good stabbillity and the drivers are top notch but you pay 3-5x what you can get from china. Personally i like cyan colors as you can easily do a 20W projector with 4mm beam in 0.7mrd. If a telescope is being used a 5mm beam and 0.5mrd should be possible and fits on a 5mm aperture scanset. If goldenstar fits your budget then OPSL and all other european brands will be out of range as these are at least 4x more expencive. Like all things in life you get what you pay for.....

Like most of us here we went to china and back......
    Last edited by edison; 12-08-2017 at 07:53.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Most companies can,t do this low divergence but we can actually do just below 0.7mrd. The beam is 22.5mm at 27 meter.
    Really, you can make a 8W green, 0.7mrad, with a 4mm aperture diameter? If yes, that's really interesting. I still have the 2W 520nm modules from you, which has a very good divergence but makes already 5mm at aperture, so I'm wondering how to fit 6 another diodes in a smaller diameter...

Hi all,

Thanks for the useful comments, great to be part of a community like this. The show did not materialise in the end, but nontheless this has been really useful.

I’ll take a terra watt 1mm CW 0.0001mrad along with the nuclear power plant to run it.