Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EMMA EM-RGB24B 1500mw with lid off

Any new thoughts on the Emma PJ? Seems pretty cost effective for a home setup.

Without beam specs, pictures of beams, pictures of the projection with test patters with accurately stated speeds and optical deflection it is impossible to tell. However, as I said before, you generally get what you pay for. For cheap, but decent quality for home use, perhaps consider Goldenstar projectors. For quality and professional use in the US, X-Laser USA, Lightspace/Eightonlight USA and Kvant are your go-to vendors in my opinion.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I worked on an emma for a local kid and......I was not overly impressed...
    Will there be three phase!!!!

What did you see? I've heard rumors of "Chinese Goop" everywhere in their projectors. I would imagine those scanners will only do 40k at 0.5 degrees.

It was very goo fest inside. Slap / chop with poor components. Ive seen worse but certainly not good. I was inside it to replace a mirror on the X galvo and try to fix the convergence.
    Will there be three phase!!!!

I'm interested in the best to worst that you have encountered. A list. Which manufacturers are in the top, who's in the middle and what's the bottom look like? For me the Emma is an entry point so I can learn the LSX software with a DAC attached. Hundreds vs. thousands of dollars for R&D. At some point I'll be spec'ing gear that will be for a live public performance and will have a budget which will support buying commercial grade machines. For example, an outdoor show, in cold winter (0 to -20 C) with say $10K to $15K for budget for gear I'd like get three ILDA capable machines with DACs internal or external. What would be best bang for the buck, best value, or least headaches?

First, I would advise you to stick withthe hobby a little before deciding on entering commerce. Although I have not personally operated a laser based buisness, I have been told that if you wish to make money, the laser production business is one of the the worst fields to enter. Shows are very time consuming to produce, up to many hours for a single animation, and you never know when you will get a gig. There are alsoo many legal and financial headaches involved. I have even ben told that you will make more faster working in fast food. Before you come up with such big plans, I would advise that you get to know lasers, reaserch on saftey, and just enjoy the hobby. Regardless, here is a list of companies. Please note that there are many I have not mentioned indluding various buisnesses run by members of PL. Also, I am no expert and do not own lasers from many of these manufactures. Most of the info comes from previous threads on this forum. I strongly advise you to look far and wide before making any decisions as there is lots of great information to be found here. With that said, here goes:

The Bad

Emma Light, Shinp, Most other generic units
    Pros: Low initial purchase cost
    Cons: Low quality, short lifespan, problematic, No Customer Support, Not Legal, Low-Quality Scanners, Poorly Designed Electronics, Bad Output/Color Modulation etc.
    Best for: hobbyists looking for a cheap fix and understand the limitations of their equipment.

Laserworld: (https://www.laserworld.com/en/)
    Pros: Fairly Low Price
    Cons: Mediocre Specs, Poor Quality Scanners, Legality Questions
    Best For: Cheap beam projectors

Good For The Price

Goldenstar: (http://www.goldenstarlaser.com/)
    Pros: Great prices, Cecent Scanners Availible, Decent Construction.
    Cons: Legality Issues, Mediocre Laser sources, Sustomer Service.
    Best Fot: Cheap beam projectors, cheap graphics.

X-Laser USA: (http://x-laser.us/)
    Pros: Certified for use in the U.S w/ EZ variance kit, Decent Quality and Prices, Good Customer Support
    Cons: Stock Scanners Could be Improved, High Divergence on Higher Powerd Units.
    Best For: Djs looking for a simple and hadache free laser solution.

Lightspace USA: (http://www.lightspaceusa.com/)
    Pros: Certified For Use in the U.S., Good Prices, Decent scanners, Decent Ouput.
    Cons: Stock scanners Leave a Little to be Desired for Complex Graphics, Have Heard That These Units Can Come Out of Alignment.
    Best for: Most laser related needs.

High Quality

Kvant, Lasershowprojctor.com: (https://lasershowprojector.com/#laser-specials)
    Pros: Certified Legal for Use in the U.S, Great Scanners Included Stock, Upgrade to Saturn Series Possible, Great Color, High Qaltity Eurpoean Manufacturing, Great Customer Service.
    Cons: Prices are a Litle High.
    Best for: High proformace graphics and beams

I have also herad that Tarm units may be good, But I don't know enough to say with certanty.