Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EMMA EM-RGB24B 1500mw with lid off

Default EMMA EM-RGB24B 1500mw with lid off

This arrived last week via DHL from China in about five or six days after ordering. Nice. The EM-RBG24B. I've moved up a step from a simple SD Card ILDA enabled device (Dolphin 189c) to one with an ILDA port. I'm now the proud owner of LSX lite (or as the software tells me "degraded" version, thx, makes me feel humiliated somewhat). I already own: LaserCam Pro, ILA SOS, this laser came with a "free" copy of iShow. Not sure about the origins of that software probably (hint no license) won't use it anyway. Waiting for my Helios DAC from grixm to arrive from Norway... any day, week or month now . Any comments pro or con I would be interested to hear about. Time to get to work on making content...

The is the 40 Kpps version there is also a 30 Kpps version. Nice features so far are: servo operated grating filter which spreads the image in multiples directions, almost fisheyed, the attenuation dials to reduce laser intensity on R, G and B, a dial to adjust size, better safety features locks, locking power cord, guard shield for the projection window, and better firmware/software to read ILD files from an SD card. Spring loaded tighteners on the support arm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180115_113814.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	53453

Photos click on google pictures link here to see more:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ovIDMnrSo33p1Ldi1

What's your review of this unit so far?

I'll know soon. My Helios DAC just show up from Giltle Mikkelson yesterday (2.5 weeks from Norway to Canada by air mail). My general impression is that it's fairly well thought out and as I mentioned has more control than a cheap SD only laser. I'm considering this an entry level laser which I can learn to use LSX and LaserCam. My focus is trying to develop animation content. I'm really looking for a workflow on the software side that isn't to complicated. I animate with Toon Boom.

I'm interested to see how this goes. I almost bought one of these lasers, but later switched my mindset. The Unit looks ok besides the possibly salvaged green module, but there are somethings you should be careful about. First and foremost, if you are located in the U.S. I would strongly discourage ever letting this laser leave your home. These lasers are not legal for any kind of public presentation, and are not eligible for a variance without heavy modification. Also take extra care not to expose anyone to the laser output, including beams scattered by the grating. A 1.5 watt projector is no joke, and could easily cause serious eye damage if used improperly. As for the scanners, don't expect to get 40k at anything but the smallest angle, and dont push them too hard. You can generally tell if scanners are being over worked by distortion in the projected image, and the scanners running hot. Be aware of this, and dont push them to a large angle. I would start with 20k, and work your way up. This projector could work out for you as long as you are carful, and treat it well.

Thank you @Glrock. Great info. Which laser(s) did you personally decide on or are you looking at? What were the reasons? Where would the green be salvaged from? I'm not in the USA I'm just north of it, (hint hint subtle subtle, eh?!) This is for testing the output from shows created in LSX and others. Not even sure of the public display laws here yet I've been using a document from the UK called "Safety of Display Lasers" put out by PLASA for safety guidance. What kind of modifications these type of units typically need? I've got the attenuation dials turned as low as possible while using this at the moment. How would I test the abilities of this laser's performance as far as Kpps? I'm hoping to use "professional" stage lasers to create an "aurora" effect for a client during a month long light festival at the end of this year. I've been studying the work of Dan Roosegaarde ("Waterlicht" London Luminere Festival, King's Cross Granary Square Jan 18-22 2018) and Dan Acher's work ("Borealis" which is coming to the Adelaide Fringe Festival in Australia, Feb. 16th into Mid March). In these shows the beams are always well above the heads of viewers. Mostly it's done by using big smoke machines to flood the area in the display and they project several flat intersecting beams or a simple animation of a sine wave. Comments?

Looks a great price!! Did you incur any import duty?

Around $30 CDN.

Unfortunately I am not the right person to ask how you could legalize the projector as I am not familiar with Canadian law. I have heard that the laws there are similar to the laws down south. This may mean that you have to go through some kind of process to certify the projector as legal with the government, but this is just an educated guess. Surrounding the green module, I am only guessing that it may be salvaged as this has been seen before with cheap projectors. Stable high power DPSS green modules can be very expensive, and at the price point you payed for this projectors it would be very hard to justify this cost. You can also see that the green module has more cosmetic wear than the others, something a laser inside a sealed projector would not normally have. I can't tell you exactly what this may mean, but you may begin to encounter issues like instability, especially in that cold weather up north. I may advice you to replace it with a high power direct diode green module if you ever have the funds. Anyways, As for me, I am a spoiled little bastard. My first laser was going to be a model from Emma, but I was steered away after hearing of quality problems. I purchased a used x-laser mobile beak mk5 with 25k scanners for $400 on eBay, and this was my projector for 2 years, and it is also the laser featured in my profile picture. This laser was basic with slow, inaccurate scanners and only 7 colors but it did the trick. If you decide to stick with the hobby, There are several things you should be aware of. Firstly, this hobby is a very slippery slope. Once you begin to understand the equipment and its limitations compared to other products on the market, you find yourself wanting more. Just take it from me. I am currently waiting on my next projector, a Kvant clubmax 3000 with Saturn 1s. I chose this projector for a few reasons. Firstly, I wanted a projector that could reliably project graphics at 60k plus, and secondly, I was looking for a projector with exceptionally good color. I was also looking for something that was built very well, and legal to use in the U.S. This projector ticked all those boxes and more, so I went for it. Even though owning something as advanced as this may sound amazing, you don't need it if you are just entering the hobby. I am sure that you will enjoy what you see, even at lower scan speeds. It is also Important to realize that well designed laser content can look decent on just about anything, and much of the art form is about saying the most with the least. With practice, you can refine graphics, removing unnecessary points and improving graphics to a point where there is little too no flicker left. In my case I have also learned that your biggest critic is often yourself. You may eventually be able to spot the difference between 638nm and 650nm red, but someone that has never seen laser graphics before could not care less. It is important to keep this in mind as you learn more and become dissatisfied. You must also always remember to be safe, and never use the laser as you may an led fixture.

Hope to see you around here!

-Connor
    Last edited by Glrock; 01-26-2018 at 07:21.

Your 1st step should really be to research Canadian Laws (really should have been done before you, purchased). My biggest fear is it might prove near impossible for you to legalise your projector for public display use if the laws are anything like the US. I say near impossible, because it is possible in the US, it just takes a lot of time, which I'm guessing if you've bought this for a project is time you don't have. Search on here for certification and I'm sure you'll turn up some threads and excellent advice. That said, before you panic, my best advice mirrors Glrock, research Canadian projector regulations. Some countries like the EU have quite relaxed requirements for the projector itself. Some like the US have very strict requirements and require the actual projector model to be certified by the authorities for public display use. It may just be you get lucky and find Canada isn't as strict as the US.