Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with ScannerMax C-506

Default problem with ScannerMax C-506

Hey guys!
    I’ve having been some problems with my 506 with customised drivers. When projecting a bit complex image (mainly in pause mode), it becomes distorted after some time.
    Issue is momentary solved just shutting down scanning for several seconds. But once scanning again, same problem…good scanning at 1st, then distorted image again.
    I’ve tested several DAC, RiYA LITE and JM LASE USBII: Same problem.
    I have two more projectors ILDA-chained with chinese/eyemagic scanners and no problem. Distorted image is present only in PJ with 506 and modified drivers.
    Any ideas to focus better the problem please?

Many thanks.
    Juanma.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Sounds like your pushing them too hard and the self resetting thermal polyfuse is kicking in. Then when you cool them down, it runs normally.

~
    What scan angle, what scan speed, how complex is your image? Whose modified amps? What size scanner mirror set?
    ~
    Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Hello, Steve.
    The angle of exploration do not be exactly which is, but it is the one that was coming fitted in the amplifiers modified (I have not modified any adjustment).
    The size of scanning is very similar to the scanners that I have (EYE MAGIC EMS-5110 and PT-30 and PT-40) I have put ventilation TEC to the amplifiers, for if it was a problem of overheating of them, but it follows the problem in the scanning.

I use Spaguetti software, with all the scanners that I have (two Chinese and Eye Magic), but only the C-506 have this problem.
    The mirrors are of 4mm.
    And the amplifiers are those of the image.
    The images that they distort are great (anyone that has a bit of complexity, a figure, a silhouette, etc ...)

Forgive the expression, I use a translator.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sshot-1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	53492

Name:	sshot-2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	53493

Name:	sshot-3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	306.6 KB 
ID:	53494

Best Regards.
    Juanma.

The 506 scanners pictured, are those the ones you're using? If so, those mirrors are very large. You are not going to get 30K out of those at any significant scan angle. What speed are you scanning at? 15K? 20K? 25K? I agree with Steve, it sounds like your polyswitches are tripping. You could short the polyswitches long enough to see if that's the problem but I wouldn't recommend it. Sounds like you're just pushing the amps too hard.

Hello.
    Yes, they are the escaners of the image.
    I am scan to 40Kpps with Spaguetti Lasershow (with fewer speed the image trembles enough).
    Chinese Galvos and Eye Magic, scan in Spaguetti to 60Kpps and it does not distort the image. (I believe that though the program Spaguetti shows 60Kpps ... it is not "royal" since the scanners except the C-506 do not distort the image).
    If under speed, the image trembles.

Best Regards.
    Juanma.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Those amps have subtractive notch filter boards on them.. Have the notch boards been tuned? The notch filter is not called for when used with 506 modification designed by Bill Benner... Who completed the modification of the amplifiers? Were the boards tuned with the 4 mm galvos?

The modification of the "red board" amplifiers as designed by William Benner are for 30K. They are not designed for 40 or 60K PPS.

Your circuit breakers on the amplifiers are faulting because the amps are over driven in speed... They are not designed for 40K...

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I sold this set to Juanma 2 years ago.

The fine tuning of these amplifiers has been done by William Benner himself.

Mirrors are designed to fit a square 5mm laser beam at a rather large angle, and as Steve said 60 kPPS is too fast.

If memory serves, William tuned them to 36kPPS @8°

Greetings from Belgium,
    Mike

--- www.neodym.be ---

Hola Mike.

Thank you, to see if with the information that you have given, some user can help with the problem.

I tested with 4 DAC (three Riya Lite and one JM Lase USBII).
    I have put TEC cooling on the amplifiers.
    I have checked all connections and rewired from scratch.
    The scan angle is similar to the other galvos I have.
    If under the speed of scanning with Spaguetti, the image trembles.
    When it distorts (the image is totally distorted) the only way to get it back to work is to turn off the projector for a few seconds.

Best Regards.
    Juanma

If you need 60kps. You need to Half the mirror size and change over to something different. I don’t think and s9neone let me know if I’m wrong that you can swing a 5mm mirror at 60kps and not have it deform let alone not over drive the galvounless your step size is like 2degrees or something like it.

I have easily seen 45kps at 8 with 3mm mirrors on 506. And get degraded but usable 50kps at 4. 60 falls apart and and scream for mercy. But I’m running at 18v on amps bill modified to do so.

Hi all,

A few points.

1. Those mirrors are for projecting 5mm beams over a 60 degree angle. I am not aware of anyone else in the industry who has a mirror set capable of doing that. (We all know some people who *claim* to be able to do that, but who have been proving wrong with SolidWorks models and simple math. See other threads for more information on this...)

2. Those mirrors are quite "heavy", because of the size needed to move beams that wide.

3. Servo drivers can be divided into two camps -- those that have a "coil temperature calculator", and those that don't. The coil temperature calculator requires components that are becoming rare and expensive. As such, most Chinese servo drivers these days simply use a "poly switch" as a stand-in for the coil temperature calculator. Yours are the latter...

4. A poly switch does well at protecting the scanners from overheating, but will sacrifice images when it does so.

5. The C506 is the smallest, lightest, and lowest-cost scanner on the market. It's also capable of very wide angles. We have more than one client running wider than 80 degrees. But note that the word "fastest" does not appear here...

So, that's what is happening in this case. Your choices are thus:

1. Operate at a lower scan speed. (If I am being 100000000000000% honest, you should be doing this anyway... but who am I to say ;-) )

2. Operate at a smaller angle.

Note that heat inside the scanner goes as the fourth power of scan speed and square of size, so a reduction in scan speed will have a more dramatic effect. Also note that no amount of external cooling of *anything* will help you...

If you want to know more, you could buy my book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/069274777X/
    (hey, #10 in all engineering books. That's pretty good considering my competition is #130 - 182 depending on the category...)

Bill