Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my x-laser mobile beat mirage and etherdream2 ...

i'm pretty sure Sleep(60) is for a second. So 2 is for a full 1/30 of a sec !!
    That is way the frick too long for frame generation.

I'm resorting to a busy loop at the moment.
    But my midi sequencer and sound synthesizer will be running at the same time...
    So I'll eventually make a millisec timer for my laser code so it can ACTUALLY sleep for say around 10 msec.
    Instead of 333 msec !!

I'm back on track in that department at least !!

So now I'm a gonna bug you about pps.

When they say 30000 pps at 8 degrees... Does that meeeean...

my aperture being 45 degrees and there being 65536 points in width,height...

That I can get by withOUT putting dots between segments that are
    approx 65536 * 8 / 45 dots long ?

And use the 65536*8/45 value to figure out how many points I'll need to put between far away points in a long line?

Or is that assuming too much?

Thanks John. It's nice to know someone who has already treaded these here waters.

...Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stephenhazel View Post
    i'm pretty sure Sleep(60) is for a second. So 2 is for a full 1/30 of a sec !!
    That is way the frick too long for frame generation.

I'm resorting to a busy loop at the moment.
    But my midi sequencer and sound synthesizer will be running at the same time...
    So I'll eventually make a millisec timer for my laser code so it can ACTUALLY sleep for say around 10 msec.
    Instead of 333 msec !!

I'm back on track in that department at least !!

So now I'm a gonna bug you about pps.

my aperture being 45 degrees and there being 65536 points in width,height...

That I can get by withOUT putting dots between segments that are
    approx 65536 * 8 / 45 dots long ?

And use the 65536*8/45 value to figure out how many points I'll need to put between far away points in a long line?

Or is that assuming too much?

Thanks John. It's nice to know someone who has already treaded these here waters.

...Steve
    Sleep() takes ms as a parameter but it isn't accurate. Depends on when Windows decides to yield. 8 is about the lowest you can go. There is a lot of online documentation about it.

30000 at 8 degrees refers to galvo tuning using the ILDA test pattern. If you aren't displaying the ILDA test pattern it means nothing. I can scan 1000000000000000 pts per second if they are all in the same place. As a rule of thumb, you can use around 1000 as a max distance between pts. But, it depends on scan speed. There is no substitute for playing around with speeds, point spacing, angles, and dwell points.

Yep. You're right about Sleep() being in msec.
    And when i changed it to a busy wait, WAY more responsive.
    Which is weird, but then, windows sigh...

Ohhhh only for the ilda test pattern... So it's really mooostly a marketing spec i guess.

So i got me some rotating shrinking triangles that are about 1/4 max size.
    It draws 4 of the triangles per frame in a continuous loop.

I'll setup my 24 frame/sec timer pretty soon.

It is really interesting to see the intertia in the scanners.
    I guess there's NO getting away from intermediate points a pausing based on the angle.
    Cuz otherwise those scanners will be all over the fricken place.

It is super cool to see them at max speed. They can't draw crap, but it's cool to see the clarity even if they can't reach the dang points ha ha.

Wellllllllll, i guess i better get to experimenting some more.

Some progress at least.

Buuuuuut tomo i gotta mail it in
    When x-laser gets my mail notification thing, they mail me the replacement.

Hooooopefully I'm back in business by Friday sigh.

This is a tuning optimization parameter guideline for the ILDA test pattern.

Try as a rule of thumb for point intervals in straight line segments one point every 4% of 65536 for even brightness along the line. There may be better algorithms for this. On delay, dwell or wait points between vertexes, 2-3 dwell points for short distances and 5-7 dwell points for long distances, before the beam is turned on, then have an "ON" dwell for 2-3 points, as a start. Lots will depend on your scanner's closed-loop frequency response.

Another good way to get a feel for this is to create a square, box image at maximum size, with 5 "OFF" dwell points and 2 "ON" dwell points at each vertex. Then fill in between the vertexes with additional single point values, e.g. 4 fill points, 8, 16, 32, etc. and look at each variation over a range of pps.

I really liked the article you posted from the art-science journal. In the past, we just did the point-route and dwell calculations in our head as we drew out the image outline on a digitizing tablet. Sure is nice to have horsepower to do it on the computer from a scanned image file.

Thanks yet again dude !!

Those specs are GREAT starting points - much appreciated ))