Thread: A very dumb question - angles and ILDA test patterns

Default A very dumb question - angles and ILDA test patterns

Hello all,
    I'm a new member and new (to-me) laser projector owner with what's probably a dumb question but I don't want to damage my kit (or waste my time un-necessarily by chasing a 'problem' I've introduced ) can anyone help?

I have a Laserworld Pro 700 hooked up to the computer through a Helios DAC/LasershowGen while I think about a Pangolin controller. I want to give it a shakedown with one of the ILDA test patterns- ideally at 30k which I read should be scanned at 8 degrees or less.
    The specs for the galvo system in the Laserworld state it is capable of up to 40kpps @ 4?, so that would meet the 30k test pattern requirement won't it?
    Out of curiosity, am I right in thinking the 4? stated is the SMALLEST angle the system can go down to at it's maximum speed - in other words, it would also do larger angles at that speed - 5, 6 and so on, but not smaller ones?

As I say, probably a dumb question but you have to start somewhere right? I'm findfing it fascinating. I'd like to build my own at some point, if only I had the time!

Darren

I think I've figured it out - the specs say the galvo system would be able to display 'this many points' in a given time, if the angle it's asked to project over is 'this many' degrees.
    Increase the angle and the speed will drop as you're essentially asking the projector to travel further in the same time.

Kind of explains why a more powerful projector doesn't need such a big angle at a high speed (unless you need big projections) - you can get the size by moving the projector further back without the light falling off so quickly.