Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Builds sub-forum?

Default Builds sub-forum?

Howdy
    I'm a new member who's fallen foul of the laser-bug
    I joined up because the forums seem to be the de-facto source of information - the knowledge on here seems staggering!
    I've been messing about with an old laser projector for long enough now to know that I'd like to delve into the world of self-builds, so trawling the forums to learn from those who've already gone through it.
    It struck me that a dedicated sub-forum would be really useful as a go-to for this kind of information. The search works of course, but I 'd guess there are enough to merit one.

Just an idea, anyway (I'll be sure to post mine up when I eventually decide what I'm doing and make a start!)

Yea, there was a thin wiki at one point that tried to collate all that data into one area, I'm working on bringing it back.

It's funny: The whole board used to be "self-build" - so there really wasn't a point in moving it to it's own header. Times change I guess.

If, in your travels here, you find a number of useful threads that are mostly this content, make a list. I've got no problem opening up a new section and merging the content.

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    I joined up because the forums seem to be the de-facto source of information - the knowledge on here seems staggering!
    I've been messing about with an old laser projector for long enough now to know that I'd like to delve into the world of self-builds, so trawling the forums to learn from those who've already gone through it.
    Hi Darren,

Yeah, the amount of information about self-building is astounding. Self-building can be satisfying and a great deal of fun when it goes well. It can also be frustrating and expensive when you screw up.

Over the years we've had projects to document a variety of self-builds including 'standardized projectors'. We cover self building at some of the Laser Enthusiast Meetings (LEMs) as well. SELEM (SouthEast LEM in North Carolina, US), for example has a tutorial that runs about every other year. I've got at least one of the sessions videotaped, but I don't know that I've ever put it up on YouTube.

This said, the topics that would be required to be covered are fairly broad, hence your request for a sub-forum. Power design, signal design, optical design for both single mode and multimode builds, global sourcing of build materials, case designs, scanner recommendations, etc. All of this information is currently out there down to the level of how to best correct a particular diode (search for CDBEAM posts for that one area!), but searching can be tedious.

There are knowledgeable self-build people on chat room as well. Platinum, Swamidog, myself and a few others are typically on-line during the afternoon and evening US hours for questions.

Best of luck moving forward.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Welcome. It’s nice to see interest in diy.

Hmmmmm.....Interesting !!! I did a DIY..." First Light "....2008....YIKES....10 years ago....Holy SH$T !!

We have many, many more LD engines to choose from now !!! although....we are still LAMO on the Red line...

I would also throw in to advise on a DIY build. Yes...You can buy a relatively inexpensive RGB projector these days....But....a DIY....IF you have some tools and ability...is very, very satisfying !!

Go slow...and enjoy the ride...Always....make it bigger than you think you need !!! For....WHEN you add or modify ( And you WILL )...you have the room to do so. Although this will make your build...bigger...and heavier !!! So what !!

A DIY is a Labor of Luv....a learning experience...Not the ultimate compact design....with the perfect aesthetics !! It is a unique, one-of-a-kind....the only one like this....on the Planet !!! Revel in it's unique nature...it's individual character !...and learn, learn, learn...there in lies the real reward as you build from the ground up !!

CDBEAM
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Amen to that.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    A DIY is a Labor of Luv....a learning experience...Not the ultimate compact design....with the perfect aesthetics !!
    Not the ultimate compact design with perfect aesthetics?!? I beg your pardon, good sir!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3306.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	53723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3304.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	53722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3286.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	53721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3285.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	53720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3310.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	53724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3309.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	53725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3307.JPG 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	53726

And . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4220.JPG 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	53727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4226.JPG 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	53728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4179.JPG 
Size:	1,011.4 KB 
ID:	53729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4181.JPG 
Size:	1,023.9 KB 
ID:	53730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4140.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	53731

In all seriousness, most of my builds are exactly as you describe. And besides, the super small ones tend to be a PITA to align.

Build on!

-David

Sheeeeezzzz !!! Friken Over Achiever!!!!! (JK) Now that top unit....is 10 lbs'O" SH$T....inna 8 lbs bag !!!.....
    So....I see...It has all the power you'd want....BUT...ya better have tiny hands to re-align.....Hahahaha

Nice Work !!! I was just happy....my DIY build was...smaller than a VW !!! I wonder...How many DIY Projector Builds have been done...Less than 100 I bet... Surly..."Rare Air" these days to do a DIY !!! Ah...there are many, many challenges to conquer !!

CDBEAM
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 03-14-2018 at 11:03.
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    Sheeeeezzzz !!! Friken Over Achiever!!!!! (JK) Now that top unit....is 10 lbs'O" SH$T....inna 8 lbs bag !!!.....
    So....I see...It has all the power you'd want....BUT...ya better have tinny hands to re-align.....Hahahaha

Nice Work !!! I was just happy....my DIY build was...smaller than a VW !!! I wonder...How many DIY Projector Builds have been done...Less than 100 I bet... Surly..."Rare Air" these days to do a DIY !!! Ah...there are many, many challenges to conquer !!

CDBEAM
    Thanks for the kind words, CD! I've got my big, ugly builds too, 'ya know! Most of us poor hobbyists had to build our own projectors back in the day, so I'll bet there have been thousands. Certainly less of a need these days with relatively cheap and OK-to-quite good quality projectors being available on the market. That said, the pleasure of doing it yourself is much more pleasing to us builder-types.

And yup, aligning those tiny ones can be a bear to align! Last week Swamidog shipped me the projector I built for him last year for some alignment tweaking and some other minor repairs so he wouldn't have to deal with it! Twisting and tightening in those close quarters can be disastrous if a tool slips, so I can't blame anyone from being a bit anxious. (I know I am.)

Cheers!

-David

Ya...I've snapped off a few Dichro's and Bounce mirror's....Kinda the same feeling ya get....when U break the continuity between...LD and Driver....WHILE the LD was powered up.. Ooooo....Opsa....Dumb Ass ! There goes the Magic Smoke !!! Well....I imagine...even the " Professionals "....have done the same thing........and...when they read this....They will know....WE KNOW !!!

I mean...it's not like we make the decision to launch....knowing the O-rings might fail...albeit ...ONLY a 2.76664 % chance of failure. Yikes....I DO NOT envy those guys !!! SO...yes....only those that have built....know the satisfaction... when it all comes together and the "First Light" event actually works !!!!

Later,
    CDBEAM