Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diodes and lens for lumia

Default Diodes and lens for lumia

On a whim I tried diodes with no collimator. Guess what that’s the right lens. Much better spread without a lens and no loss in detail.

i noticed with red and blue the red looks like it is behind the blue on the ceiling. Looks 3d.

Tried adding in green to get yellow. No dice so far. Have to lock it all down and play with levels.

noticed on a rotating wheel if you put sources on opposite sides of the lumia wheel they spin counter. If 90 degrees the move across each other. So I may set up four clusters of rgb at right angles so I can dial in motion.

das lumia es alive.

special thanks to swami, clickamouse, cdbeam, and logsquared for all the help. Waiting on andycons mount for the final.

Oh yea got a 470nm diode coming from Phillip wecke in Austria coming. Will blend nice with the445 I’m using now.

was thinking to add 638 to the mix. Thinking 660 is just fine on its own.

come on yellow...

Ah yes...the elusive yellow !! I still remain very found of the 660nm line...Too bad it does not have the relative luminosity of the 638 line !!
    Lumia, albeit the Red Headed Bastard Cousin, does really grow on you !!
    I have resumed work on my " Solar Prominence " project.....Finally !!
    I think " controlled " Lumia....is a very much " Undiscovered Country "
    I too am going after Lumia Yellow !! ..." IT MIGHT WORK " sez Dr Frank N. Steen
    I am confused regarding beam propagation, 2 sources....set 180 degree from each other...You would get different pattern generation....simultaneously ...but...no CW and CCW. And if you go for CW....and CCW...then the perceived display is doubled in speed...
    Kecked...Post pics !!!! Please !! Good Luck !
    BEAM OUT
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 02-28-2018 at 14:23.
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Badpip driver killed my diodes

I am using these....with great success !...MAX 5A....Anyone put this unit on a scope ?????

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5A-analog-l...sAAOSwKytZGaRz

Beam Out
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

2 thumbs up for X-Wossee drivers!
    Just don’t use the connector for the diodes - solder directly to the board.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Ordering. Looked like flexmod clone but not close looking at the parts. If the designer reads this I mean no disrespect. I have never touched your product. ....yet! I’ve seen what Andrew did and the design is unique. I wish he would lease the design if he won’t make more. I bet he thinks everytime I call him all I want is drivers but that isn’t true. Miss him truthfully so.

Well I’ll order some and see. I was looking at stuff at stanwax. Kind of like to support him. I wonder if a basic led driver would be ok since I am not modulating the laser. Heck a current limiting resistor and a voltage regulator. Slap a 3.3v on a red and a 5v on green and blue. Put 12ohm 2w. On the red for 270ma. Put 2 12ohm in parallel for the blue and green 800ma. Can’t adjust though and mix is exp erything.

So I started playing with lens. Having the ability to change focal length really opens up the door to patterns. I am going spend more time with this aspect but I think I want from no collimator to a full expander I can vary on each color. I used double concave followed single convex convex out for this result.

Well got Andy con mounts. Now waiting on 470nm diode from wicke. Not chancing that diode till the driver is sorted. My power supply from mjpa. Spikes when you turn it on or if you take a lead off and on while it’s running. Great lab bench supply not. Constant cc cv. My a$$. I think the supply not the badpip driver was the problem. I accidentally removed power and didn’t power down before reconnnecting. Should not matter but it did. Using meanwell supply now.

X-wosee's Simpledrives are definitely not clones of Flexmods although their footprint is similar. They have a lot more features and are very reliable. I've had problems with two out of about eighty thus far. One appeared to be a bad solder joint for the diode connection and the other had some problem with the primary chip. Features include optional automatic shutdown with a thermister, beam suppression, bias setting, optional interlock, start-up delay and more. The beauty for the optional features is that you don't have to do anything to not use them.

On a related note, if anyone has advice on getting the thermister installed on Dave's diode mounts, please let me know. I was thinking drilling a hole in the brass for it (I assume getting it fairly close to the diode), but I have not yet found the cajones to try it!

One piece of advice on the Simpledrives though - be sure to get the right driver for the diode you want to power. For example, if you have a low power diode, get the v500mA version. Higher power multimode diode, get the v2500mA version. Really need super high power? Get the 3A or 5A versions. If you get a driver that is overpowered for the diode, it requires careful tweaking of the zero bias setting to get decent rise time out of it. When I started doing 60kpps graphics this became a noticeable issue and I had to go back and swap out a couple dozen v2500s for v500s. I realize none of this really impacts the lumia build being discussed however.

Kecked - I'd love to see pics of what you meant by sending the beams in from 180degrees from each other. I can't visualize that. Also good luck on the pursuit of those yellows!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

NB: takes up to 6 weeks to get these from Moscow. Worth the wait.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Thanks for your info that helps a lot. Anyone tried stanxwax? I like to support folks I know if I can. For my design 317 is plenty. But I want to find something for later too.

Ok think of this. Put alaser in a wheel on one side and have it turn clockwise. The image will move top to bottom. If you go 180 degrees it’s bottom to top. On top it’s left to right. On bottom it’s right to left. You can tell this motion even in lumia. Mixing them let’s you move the lumia motion around. Ps everything in between is possible to depending on where you hit the wheel so 45 degree to the right is the spot betwee 6 and 9 o’clock. Make sense now?

I’ll happily show it all one I get the drivers diodes and mirrors in place. Just so tired of losing diodes. Lost a good 150.00 in diodes not including one of the 660 woody gave me. So simple a concept so complex in the build cuz I am cobbling.

For the lens idea the amount of area and the focus on the lumia defines the kind of patterns you get. That came from someone else who said try cotton balls. No lens is a cotton ball. Anyway a ton of variability is possible with location speed focus color type of lumia. A lot of variables. This can be never ending.

My thought was to use two wheels moving in opposite directions. This find of motion means use more diodes and one wheel. Guess you could mount the diodes on an arm and move them around.

Stay tuned.

Anybody want to front me three of the drivers and have fresh shipped to you. 6weeks is way too long for this project.