Thread: YARR - Yet Another Recommendation Request

Default YARR - Yet Another Recommendation Request

Howdy Laserfolks!
    I'm mainly an Arduino/MIDI guy, and have been experimenting with DMX and lasers for several years now.
    I've built a beginner projector: Chinese 400mW RGB module and mediocre 15/20K galvos from eBay, show card from Goldenstar, re-used case from a dead P.O.S. 'SHINP' projector.
    and I've also built my own custom DMX live performance controller toy
    (see YouTube link below for demo of these things in action with my own music--the laser is in there with some other lights)
    While this projector works really well with both DMX and ILDA, I'm already tired of its limitations (not QUITE bright enough beam effects and slow galvos).
    I want to upgrade to a quality projector with the following basic specs:
    Full RGB
    Combined power: 750mW to 1.2 watts
    Analog modulation
    Galvos fast enough to display more complex abstracts without flickering (I might throw in the occasional graphic, but want to do probably 95% abstracts and beam effects)
    Decent beam convergence
    DMX compatibility a plus, but not mandatory
    I have two DACs at this point: EtherDream2 and Helios
    and I just purchased licenses for LSX Basic, Maxwell, and LaserJuice
    (but may eventually code my own Windows application)
    I've been eyeballing X-Laser's Mobile Beat Mirage, but want to know what y'all consider to be the 'best-in-class' at this level.
    Initially, this will be used carefully and responsibly in private homes for private entertainment, but MIGHT eventually transition to public art performances (public but non-commercial)
    I understand that I'll probably need to get a Variance, so I'm receptive to advice about that aspect also.
    Recommendations welcomed and appreciated.
    Thank you so much for your time and guidance!
    Demo video of what I'm doing now:

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Hi,
    The general problem I think you are going to run into is many manufacturers are concentrating on higher powered projectors so, there isn't a huge amount still out there in the 700mw to 1.2w range and, what is out there at that power isn't going to have the greatest scanners or, be quite as well build or refined. Yes, there are low powered boxes from the likes of Goldenstar, Lightspace and even Kvant has the small Clubmax at 2 watts. But that's more power than what you are looking for. The low powered boxes from Goldenstar and Lighspace are also going to have the most basic of scanners. So, eyeing the Mobile Beat Mirage is truly going to give you the best bang for the buck. It uses single mode diodes so, the beam quality is outstanding as compared to the ones from China. The galvos are quite capable although, still not on the level of a Compact 506. The housing is not as robust as perhaps you might find with Goldenstar or Lightspace but, that is by design in an effort to keep the projector more reasonably priced. That being said, it still not bad. The most important thing though is.... it's legal for your future endeavors. Goldenstar does have someone in the US who is assuming the role of making them legal and giving them a variance number and of course Lightspace has Walt Meador as their USA rep so, if you're going to consider either of those, you should be obtaining them from a US source. But, I can tell you from having seen the Mirage in action at X-Laser's studios that it's a great little projector and I absolutely have one on my radar as well. (And I have somewhere around 30 projectors.) Adam Raugh is a standup guy and X-Laser is a good company. Another avenue might be looking for someone selling a used ClubMax 1800 from Kvant. A bit more power than what you're looking for but still a nice machine. I just noticed Kvant has a Clubmax 1000 as well at nearly twice the cost of the Mirage. That's likely your Cadillac. Good luck in your search!
    PM Sent...

Brad, thanks much for the considered reply! I appreciate your insight.
    Since I do want faster scanners, it's probably worth the extra money for the Kvant unit.
    The sealed optical deck, quiet operation, and low heat generation are also appealing selling points.
    I have one more opinion question (if you're still reading--actually I welcome answers from any/all of you):
    The difference between Kvant's 1W unit and 2W unit is a mere $105--chump change in this context.
    My gut tells me that 2W will have me leaving singe marks and little burn holes in objects around my house.
    But would that really be the case? I imagine that's possible at the center of slow-moving concentric abstracts.
    Am I overthinking this?

Thanks again!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

unless you're doing static hot beams, you'll be fine with 2W.

you can always turn the power down, but it's really hard to turn the power up.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Brad, thanks much for the considered reply! I appreciate your insight.
    Since I do want faster scanners, it's probably worth the extra money for the Kvant unit.
    The sealed optical deck, quiet operation, and low heat generation are also appealing selling points.
    I have one more opinion question (if you're still reading--actually I welcome answers from any/all of you):
    The difference between Kvant's 1W unit and 2W unit is a mere $105--chump change in this context.
    My gut tells me that 2W will have me leaving singe marks and little burn holes in objects around my house.
    But would that really be the case? I imagine that's possible at the center of slow-moving concentric abstracts.
    Am I overthinking this?

Thanks again!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Excellent point!
    Ok, MORE POWER!

Excellent point!
    Ok, MORE POWER!
    i do a *lot* of abstract show programming. one trick i use is to project onto a flat black surface.. even a screen covered in black felt or other material. this cuts the brightness way down without impacting color and modulation. your eyes will thank you.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I fully concur. The Clubmax have individual brightness control knobs on the back of projector for red blue and green so, it’s stupidly simple and fast to turn it down a little and yes, you should have no issues unless as was said, you’re using hot static full power single beams.
    PM Sent...

Excellent tips, thanks very much!

Now then...what's the best-in-class software for doing abstracts? Beyond?

Excellent tips, thanks very much!

Now then...what's the best-in-class software for doing abstracts? Beyond?
    "best-in-class"... hmm. there's two primary contenders. Beyond is one, LSX is the other. i use LSX. it costs about 1/10th what beyond costs and is very much capable of making amazing eye melty abstracts. there's a lot of abstract work on my youtube channel, but here's a couple to get you started:

Spectacular, man! Wow, that's inspirational!
    And good news for me: I already bought an LSX license (but have not started using it yet)

THANK YOU!