Thread: Dmx troubles.

Default Dmx troubles.

Hi guys.
    ive been busy buying up loads and loads of laser junk for my laser project.
    amongst all this junk I picked a NJD Merlin dmx lighting desk.
    I remember these from the 90s and thought it would be perfect to control my laser switches.
    so I thought.
    i connected it up to my newest laser. A laser world cs1000 rgb mk2.
    i got nothing. So I tried a old mans trick of swapping the pins on the dmx cable to reverse the data polarity.
    It started to work.
    I managed to get one effect from the controller. And the black out switch working.
    apart from that it does nothing else.
    i have one welcome projection changing colours and that’s all it does.
    Am I missing something?
    the desk obviously transmitting data because I get one effect and can turn the beam on and off.
    but it does not matter what I move or press nothing changes.
    Has dmx changed since the 90s.
    i don’t suppose this old desk is analogue and today’s controllers are all digital dmx.
    any help would be great.
    many thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D212D065-DDC2-4B24-8686-70333434F450.jpeg  

Has dmx changed since the 90s.
    i don’t suppose this old desk is analogue and today’s controllers are all digital dmx.
    No, DMX is still DMX*. It's always been digital. You might be thinking of AMX or LMX, which were analog. On possible issue with older controllers is that they may not send a full 512-slot DMX frame, which can cause issues with fixtures that don't accept s

Looks like the Merlin is programmable, so you probably just need to find a manual for it an figure out how to configure it for whatever layout makes sense for your laser.

* There is the addition of RDM, but since all RDM communication is initiated by the controller it's only a possible issue with old fixtures that don't ignore non-zero start codes connected to RDM-enabled controllers.