Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what type of noiseless/low noise motors are there?

Default what type of noiseless/low noise motors are there?

I can't find anything close to a PC fan motor in terms of noise.
    I need it to rotate at 1200 RPM only.
    Almost no torque needed, but need a motor shaft.
    My requirements aren't much, what motor am I looking for?

... there are many different types of small DC motors as used in old cassette tape recorders - they are pretty low noise ...

Viktor

Thanks I will check.
    Do I have the wrong impression that brushless DC motors are needed for reduced noise or is there more to it than the noise from contacts? Because I found a seller of cassette tape or CD player motors and they were both brushed DC motors.

... AFAIK old cassette recorder motors were brushed ... but all CD-player motors I knew, were brushless ...

Viktor

What is the application. Reason I ask is what do you mean by noise. Speed accuracy, thermal, acoustic? RF? I think you mean noise as n acoustic. If that is the case, bearings are everything. 1200 rpm is not trivial in terms of noise. The speed is right in the peak of most people’s hearing so any thing in resonance is going to make noise or move air that makes noise.
    As sillily as this sounds, the smaller the motor to more likely the noise will be worse. You need brushless for sure as the arc at 1200 is audible. Listen to a drill or mixer for demo. Detail what you wan5 to do.

Yes, acoustic noise.
    I don't have a proper drawing to show what I have in mind, I thought of making one after I decide the motor and determine its size. But I can describe it, there are going to be two pulleys on the motor shaft and a bearing in the tip of the shaft of the motor for support. The pulleys via belts are going to rotate two optical elements attached to larger pulleys, roughly 100 gram each, both supported by bearings as well. The whole thing is enclosed in a polycarbonate cylinder, this will probably give some idea on effect of wind. The enclosure and bearings should keep torque requirements pretty low but for noise I think a bearing or lack thereof inside the motor used is more important I think.

I have also considered using rubber pads and soundproof foam around the motor and, or the enclosure, but I have zero experience with these and will need some hole for fans and airflow so I don't know how much that can help.

The mount is really important. I’d just built it and see what you get. Laser tv?

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    The mount is really important. I’d just built it and see what you get.
    but what motor tho? Dimensions of the mount will depend on the motor.
    Last edited by shoujin; 04-18-2018 at 11:47.

Ah. That makes more sense. The real noise is the screen and dremel. Have you looked at rc plane motors? None are quiet at those speeds. I suggest you put it in a box with just the drive coming out. You can at least damp. The high whine. The bearings you use for the shaft need to be high quality. Next enclose the whole thing in a box. Ow flush the box with helium. Thank you Eric once again! If you look up the YouTube page tech ingredients you will find two videos on what you want. Make sure th box is isolated. Y foam or such from the table. You might b able to Change geometry of the screen so it need not turn as fast.

Think about direct drive. It can eliminated one set of bearings.