Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blu-Ray Laser Diode Specs?

Question Blu-Ray Laser Diode Specs?

Hi.

This is my first post, so tell me if I do anything wrong.

So I was wondering about Blu-Ray Laser Diodes. Someone told me that they were infrared, but I looked it up and it turns out that they aren't all infrared. I have a Blu-Ray Player that is relatively new and I am wondering how powerful the diode is, what colour it is, how bright it is, and how to salvage it.

Cheers,

Penguini1212

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguini1212 View Post
    Hi.

This is my first post, so tell me if I do anything wrong.

So I was wondering about Blu-Ray Laser Diodes. Someone told me that they were infrared, but I looked it up and it turns out that they aren't all infrared. I have a Blu-Ray Player that is relatively new and I am wondering how powerful the diode is, what colour it is, how bright it is, and how to salvage it.

Cheers,

Penguini1212
    none of them are infra-red. they are on the cusp of uv-a. hence the term "blu-ray". the typical wavelength is 405nm. depending on the drive, you might find a diode up to maybe 500mW.
    Last edited by swamidog; 09-16-2016 at 12:20.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Thanks for the info!!!!

Don't bother. Buy a 445nm diode. Costs about 25.00

What are you going to use the diode for?
    BlueRay diodes are as Swami says, 405nm. This is deep blue, and not very visible to the human eye.
    A BR reader will not have a powerful diode. A BR burner have more powerful diodes. 16X burner will typical have a 1000mW.

DTR can provide diodes for really nice prices.

If you are determined to salvage yourself, this link might provide som info for you.
    https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf...5nm-16x-diodes

But at Kecked writes - Don`t bother.

Get a 445nm diode instead. Way brighter of laserlight is you goal.
    https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf...m-h1650-diodes

If you want to go into lasercutting or engraving 405nm might be better. It all depends on what you are aiming for.

Datsurb
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

... for engraving and cutting I'm using 445nm-diodes with 2W or 3.5W power -- the actual most powerfull 6.5W types have a much greater emitter and bad beam characteristics and the resulting spot is not as good as with the 3.5W diodes.

The 405nm-diodes are good for UV-curing or more fine engraving than possible with the 445nm-diodes ... but not so much, that it's worth it for normal use ... so long they don't have more power though ...

Vikto

Lightbulb Blue Laser Market from 2018?

Hi, I'm a chemist and exploring the grounding of a start-up company which would offer frequency-doubling compounds which emit in the blue to violet region. Initially, I've looked at 400 nm, however other neighboring wavelengths are certainly also active/ One unique feature of these compounds is the incredible strong response that they show. Another is their being inexpensive. One of the first tasks is a market analysis. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Please do not tell me to go to a commercial site which wants money for this - I have none!. Please no anecdotal responses.

I'm also looking for co-founders. Specifically, those who are either optical engineers or physicists. At the moment, I'm located outside of Corpus Christi, TX.

Thanks

Fenton

Well if you are using freq doubling that emits in the 400nm range, starting with 405nm is not what you want. You want to be in the infrared. Now if you are going the other way to uv you have my attention. Two electron efficient conversion to 200nm would be something very useful. What is the bandgap looking like. I was working with trans elements Sc Yb obviously but coupling the system for upshift if at best 1% conversion at least so far.

Are you trying non linear shg? Cuz that’s pretty well done. Need some more details. Ps I’m a quantum chemist.

Question More details........?

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Well if you are using freq doubling that emits in the 400nm range, starting with 405nm is not what you want. You want to be in the infrared. Now if you are going the other way to uv you have my attention. Two electron efficient conversion to 200nm would be something very useful. What is the bandgap looking like. I was working with trans elements Sc Yb obviously but coupling the system for upshift if at best 1% conversion at least so far.

Are you trying non linear shg? Cuz that’s pretty well done. Need some more details. Ps I’m a quantum chemist.

Thanks for responding. There may be some confusion. The fundamental wavelength is at 800 nm (12500 cm–1). Don't YAG lasers emit around 800 -1034 nm (depending, of course)? My information was that the conversion efficiencies for 800/400 nm were low. And that the max power was in the 5 - 6 Watt range. My assumption is/was that a higher second order SHG process with beta > 3000 for a small molecule would have a higher conversion efficiency and that would allow higher power levels and need less cooling. Or is this fantasy?

Quote Originally Posted by fentonh View Post
    Thanks for responding. There may be some confusion. The fundamental wavelength is at 800 nm (12500 cm–1). Don't YAG lasers emit around 800 -1034 nm (depending, of course)? My information was that the conversion efficiencies for 800/400 nm were low. And that the max power was in the 5 - 6 Watt range. My assumption is/was that a higher second order SHG process with beta > 3000 for a small molecule would have a higher conversion efficiency and that would allow higher power levels and need less cooling. Or is this fantasy?
    YAG can run into kw powers. The limit is the crystal and pump. In fact when done as doped fiber it can run gigawatts. The low conversion is for certain wavel3nghts such as yellow and blue. I think shg to blue from 1064 is up around 45% wall input or the combined two steps. There is no reason to double to blue anymore as we have direct blue. Yellow remains open.

Small molecules must must be in some media to remove heat and solvate transition and be transparent to the amplification wavelength and pump. The excess energy heats the media and if you mean organic, it’s going be like a dye laser and degrade plus the high energy in blue will tear most organics apart. I can buy 5w 445nm for very little and 405 in the watt range for not much more. The real interest is in 250-280nm. And sub 200nm. Find a way to double direct blue into that range and your golden even if low efficiency and non coherent. The IR to blue ship has sailed. It’s Blue to Vacuum UV and yellow that remains. Diodes in uv are here already but in low power and are expensive so it’s a matter of time tI’ll materials and cavity geometry are solved efficiently.

Quantum efficiency is governed by the ability of the material to absorb the incoming light transition to a higher state and cascade down to some other lower state and then be raised back to the pump state to repeat. You can only improve on how you get the energy into the system and what happens as the energy leaves the system. Look up fiber lasers and seeds.