Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Frequency doubling into the yellow

After checking out this link: http://www.dragonlasers.com/Yellow-Laser-Pointers.html I am curious where these pointer cores can be gotten from. I can't imagine they would be too expensive. If they are outputting 50mW for $299, that's not too bad (provided IR is filtered). If the comments can be trusted, a few buyers reported higher than 50mW. I am also curious if these pointer cores can be properly cooled for CW operation with no duty cycle (large heatsink or active TEC). Lastly, I wonder how fickle modulation would be. Has anyone had experience with these pointer cores? I'd be interested in converting to a projector module.

I’m curious, too. This would be a holy grail for us lumia guys.
    ...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    If they are outputting 50mW for $299, that's not too bad (provided IR is filtered). If the comments can be trusted, a few buyers reported higher than 50mW.
    It appears that the 50mw version is US$469 according to the website. I'd LOVE to incorporate yellow into my projectors, but a mode-hopping unit with a short duty cycle isn't going to cut it. If only there were a common need for yellow that would encourage manufacturers. We saw it happen with blue just 10 years ago. Maybe yellow will happen before I'm too old to see.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    If only there were a common need for yellow that would encourage manufacturers. We saw it happen with blue just 10 years ago. Maybe yellow will happen before I'm too old to see.
    Would be cool, no doubt about it, but I'm not holding my breath. The windfall from the 445 nm diodes in the Ca$io projectors probably won't happen again.

Not sure what would be easier: trying to up-scale a frequency-summation design to get the power up high enough to be worth it (without making it too expensive), or trying to reduce the cost of the OPSL/VSCEL designs while keeping the power at 1 watt and above. My guess is that neither is an option, given the lack of yellow. But I also don't see anything that would drive the development of a direct-injection yellow diode either. (Not in the volume you'd need to recoup the development costs anyway.)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    After checking out this link: http://www.dragonlasers.com/Yellow-Laser-Pointers.html I am curious where these pointer cores can be gotten from. I can't imagine they would be too expensive. If they are outputting 50mW for $299, that's not too bad (provided IR is filtered). If the comments can be trusted, a few buyers reported higher than 50mW. I am also curious if these pointer cores can be properly cooled for CW operation with no duty cycle (large heatsink or active TEC). Lastly, I wonder how fickle modulation would be. Has anyone had experience with these pointer cores? I'd be interested in converting to a projector module.

You can get just the module from CNI. Though you may have issues getting them shipped to the US. A couple of people have done their own builds with pointer modules from CNI. There's been a few 561s, a 577 (might have been built into a pointer straight from CNI), a few 589s and a few 593s.

- There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

How much output power in each module, Dan?

Adam

Stop teasing us Dan!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-30mW-565...EAAOSwsA5a3rYp

is this for real? looks green to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-30mW-565...EAAOSwsA5a3rYp

is this for real? looks green to me.
    Apparently, 565nm is about the threshold of green to yellow. Lemon yellow? Maybe a lemon that's not quite ripe yet. Here's a good page with some LEDs showing that's not washed out. 565nm is on there. Kinda yellow??? https://www.ledtuning.nl/en/about-colors