Thread: optical fiver for cameras?

Default optical fiver for cameras?

This might be a stupid question for most of you but I have very little experience with fiber optics.

I was wondering if an optical fiber could be used between a GoPro type camera lens and the sensor?

... read about "fiberscopes" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiberscope

I have some "image-transferring" fibers with 3000, 10000 and 30000 fibers in bundles of 0,2mm to 1,5mm diameter from a fiberscope-assembly project ... and two 12mm wide "blanks", from which this fibers are made by heating and pulling them until the end diameter.

They show/transfer an image from one to the other end, but you'll need different optics and objectives to focus on the fiber-ends.

Here one of the "blanks" with a tapered end to show the "image-transfer" and size-changing by fiber-diameter:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Taper-kl.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	53770 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Taper-gr.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	53771

The finished "pulled" image-fibers are so thin, that you'll need a microscope optics to see the image or to "fit" it onto the camera sensor ...

Viktor

Thanks!

I was hoping to use "fibers" same diameter as the image sensor/lens aperture, without pulling/changing the diameter.

... there should be thicker "image"-fibers and stiff fiber-bundles somewhere ... but the high quality types with high enough fiber-desity to transfer the image without "fly-eye"-rastering would be hard to find and probably really pricey

Viktor

If you can find some old technology image intensifier systems, they often use fibre bundles to transmit the image to the tube face.

probably not worth it
    Thanks all.