Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Unmodified Laserscope Weight

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    72

    Default Unmodified Laserscope Weight

    Anybody know how much an unmodified Laserscope weighs? Gonna pickup two them of the ,plus a PV greenlight tomorrow. Just hoping my trailer can handle it. Donít have time to pull the transformers.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,488,805

    Default

    Little bit late, but for reference if it is still on the wheeled medical cart with the computer still attached, figure north of 400 pounds for one unit.

    The real issue isn't so much the gross weight, but rather the fact that you have more than 100 lbs on each wheel. So the floor of your trailer needs to be very robust. It will dent/bend/deform the standard expanded-metal grating that your typical utility trailer uses for a floor. Need to lay 3/4 inch plywood down on top before you load.

    Adam

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    506

    Default Laserscope

    Itís 625 lbs , laser components by themselves are 200 lbs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,488,805

    Default

    Hmmm... That seems really heavy.

    I know I loaded one all by myself last year right before SELEM. Even though I did it in stages (lift the front to get it on the lip of the trailer, slide it back, then lift the back end to get it fully loaded), I'm having a hard time believing that I could lift half of 625 lbs all by myself. Not saying it was easy, mind you (it was damned hard!), but 625 lbs just seems crazy heavy...

    Adam

  5. #5
    mixedgas's Avatar
    mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.
    Posts
    9,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrNIFty923 View Post
    Anybody know how much an unmodified Laserscope weighs? Gonna pickup two them of the ,plus a PV greenlight tomorrow. Just hoping my trailer can handle it. Donít have time to pull the transformers.
    Not always a good idea to pull the transformer anyways.
    ~
    There is an older version out there that can damage the PSU if the isolation transformer is removed. There are only a few of that model, but they do exist. The sign is something to do with the HV cable clamp on the PSU but I can't remember what it is.
    ~

    350 to 600 LBS depending on model except for the rare table top one.
    ~
    They will, as Buffo says, pierce the floor of most trailers. Drain the DI water before setting a laser on its side. Otherwise the water can trash the KTP. Replace the DI cartridge and let the pump run at least a day before restarting ensure you have good DI or you will blow the lamp and PSU, if not the rod.
    `
    one of the fucking most dangerous lasers to work on, on the entire planet.
    ~
    Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Yellowknife, NT, Canada
    Posts
    2,147,484,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Not always a good idea to pull the transformer anyways.
    ~
    There is an older version out there that can damage the PSU if the isolation transformer is removed. There are only a few of that model, but they do exist. The sign is something to do with the HV cable clamp on the PSU but I can't remember what it is.
    ~

    350 to 600 LBS depending on model except for the rare table top one.
    ~
    They will, as Buffo says, pierce the floor of most trailers. Drain the DI water before setting a laser on its side. Otherwise the water can trash the KTP. Replace the DI cartridge and let the pump run at least a day before restarting ensure you have good DI or you will blow the lamp and PSU, if not the rod.
    `
    one of the fucking most dangerous lasers to work on, on the entire planet.
    ~
    Steve
    You know it's really fucking dangerous when Steve gets to saying "fucking most dangerous".

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC USA
    Posts
    1,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diachi View Post
    You know it's really fucking dangerous when Steve gets to saying "fucking most dangerous".
    Yeah, count me out from ever playing with one of these. I'll stick with my low-power builds!
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,488,805

    Default

    Now you know why I got rid of mine...

    I mean, it is a cool design. And it does make a shitload of green. But the peak pulse power inside the cavity is way the hell up there - several 10's of KW. Plus it's IR, so you won't have any warning. Just BAM, blind spot. (Or worse)

    In the end I decided that I didn't want to deal with the risk. Plus it's a heavy beast!

    Adam

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •