Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: material that has light-sensitive transparency?

Hm, so we have two extremes? Either materials that are fast enough for my usage (8ms) but required too much optical power, or ones which do not require as much optical power but take very long (seconds) to transition?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by shoujin View Post
    Hm, so we have two extremes? Either materials that are fast enough for my usage (8ms) but required too much optical power, or ones which do not require as much optical power but take very long (seconds) to transition?
    ~

Yes, "Optical Limiting" is an area undergoing much research for the "Holy Grail" but you have either too slow, too fast, or too much energy. There is a major need for a glass that does what you want on the battlefield, in aviation, and for laser safety, but so far nothing easy or cheap or well suited has appeared. Some progress has been made in home /building windows, but the contrast ratio is low and its not pixelated.,
    ~
    I've seen a bad, experimental, homemade, batch of the UV glass transition in a few seconds.. Everything else is sub-millisecond and a lot of energy, or tens of seconds/minutes minimum.

~
    Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I see. Well, that's clears up the situation. Thank you. Although, I have to say, I feel as there may be a way to achieve this with some clever setup with polarizers. "This"" being a way to block a specified area of a projection without the use of mechanically moving physical shutters or comparably low quality pixels based LCD shutters or the pixels of the comparably low res projector itself. Myabe using two projectors with different polarization to block an area of one projection where the other projection with different polarization will be shone... dunno, just brainstorming at this point.
    Last edited by shoujin; 04-06-2018 at 03:53.

... I've heard some rumors about "eloctrostatic switched fluid cells" for modulating OLED's or laser beams -- this should be small cavities with either two not intermixing different coloured fluids, or only one fluid, changing polarty or transparency with the "thickness" -- then an electrostatic pad ar one end will change the amount or colour of the fluid in the light path ...

Viktor